My 2-year old grandson had a 24-hour stomach virus 4 days ago. Before it was all over, he'd spread it to everyone else (2 adults, 1 child) in the house--vomiting, nausea, diahrrea, etc. I am the only one still experiencing prolonged nausea--the only symptom that still persists. What could be causing this nausea? The only medication taken throughout was pepto bismol and I stopped taking it yesterday. I am 60 years old.

Well, Pepto bismol may not be so good for older adults. The drug may make them more prone and sensitive to side effects. Although side effects with peptobismol are rare, nausea could be one of them. You may wait and see if the nausea persists for a few more days after discontinuing the drug.
Considering you are older, your immune system is weaker than the immune systems of the others in your home, so this may be the reason of prolonged nausea.
Anyhow, if nausea doesn’t go away within a few days I would suggest you saw a doctor and see if something else may be the matter and the stomach virus just triggered it.

My 20 month old granddaughter started vomiting in the car on her way to preschool last Friday. Then Sunday evening (Mothers Day) I layed on my bed at 9:00 pm with searing pains in my stomach. Within minutes, I was vomiting and had the worst "runs" of my life. This went on ALL NIGHT!!!! At 1:00 A.M. my daughter came into my bed crying because she started vomiting and it kept up like every 5 minutes. The next day we both stayed home from work feeling very weak. The next day my daughters husband got it and now last night my husband got it. He just went back home, he was going to try to work but he's too weak and has dry heaves. What the heck is going on? Anyone else having this happen to them. I swear, it's been 1 of us every day. Today is now Thursday and I'm finally feeling better - my appetite is back and I don't feel so weak. Is there a new stomach virus out there or something?

Yeah, I do believe there is a stomach virus going around. Last wednesday, both of my parents had gotten it, then spread it that day to my niece and my one sister. They all had it just for a day and felt fine the next. Four days later my grandmother got it and so did my nephew. (Btw, there is alot of people living in my house as you can tell). Well they seemed to get over it fine. I had gotten it the night that my grandmom got it, but I believe I had gotten the worse out of everyone else. I started out with diarrhea, and then onto vomiting, after I had cleared the contents of my stomach, the rest of the night I was dry heaving. I was in the worst pain. in the morning I had tried to drink some gatorade and ended up throwing that up too. Eventually I was able to keep stuff down but I was achy and weak. That night I had trouble sleeping because my fever was breaking i guess. The next day I still felt dizzy and weak, I had ate but I wasnt that hungry, I ended up sleeping for the rest of the day. And now 6 days after the 1st day i got it, i am feeling better but I still have a bad pain in my abdomen, hopefully it will go away. I believe the pain may just be my muscles that are sore still from all the throwing up and dry heaving, but im not sure, all i know is that it hurts.

:-( Yes this bug is rotten, I have had it 6 days and though not being sick now , the nausea remains, so I dont really want to eat. I steered clear of my grandaughter who had it last month, and stayed in bed anyway, I have to feel really badto stay in bed. I hope the sick feeling goes, really tired now.

Small bites of Yogurt and sip on Gingerale..

My doctor said it could last 6 day and I have had it for 4 now and things are starting to get better.

i WOULD REALLY RECOMMEND TO SPRAY LISOL THRU OUT THE WHOLE HOUSE EVEN IN THE AIR CONDITIONING DUCKS. IT REALLY HELPS

DO not have any dairy at all when you have a virus - I never knew this but my Dr told me last week that Dairy products encorage growth in germs therefore prolonging the illness

I; am also a senior and I had this virus and was in the hosp. I have continued to have bots of nausea for no reason. I take a nauseia med. from time to time. Before this I have been i8n excellent health. Not fun. jean

I had a horrible 24 hour stomach flu as well, and I am on day 11 of having horrible nausea that comes in waves. What would be a suggestion in dealing with this without using over the counter products?

Hello, my name is Kathleen. I am not sure about why you still have the nausa. I have had the vomiting for 2 days and the direaha has lasted now for almost 5 days. The nausa is still lasting with me. I called my Dr. who told me that some people depending on their health . For example if your older it can last longer. If you have diabetes or another immune deficency it can take longer to go away.

Note: never eat dairy products when you feel sick. Ever. Still, they aren't as bad as honey... Only eat foods that will soak up stomach acids, (i.e. crackers, bread, etc.) And keep sipping water, NOT drinking, or gulping. Sipping. Sprite and gingerale however will work miracles for some people. But again, SIP IT.

Your doctors is an id**t