Hi guys,

I've thought about going to the pharmacy again and taking something for my dry cough, again, but I thought that I might just as well ask you people here if you have any advice on how to get rid of a bad dry cough, I can't seem to get over it. I was using some sort of a syrup that they gave me in the pharmacy and it seemed to help but as soon as I've ran out of it, my dry cough started again so I guess that I didn't really treat it, I just kind of masked it for a while.

Hey Guest,

Well, I know how awful can persistent dry cough be but I am not so sure about how to get rid of it, I mean, I always used some medications from the pharmacy which actually always worked great for me. I think that the first thing that you want to do is stay hydrated, drinking warm tea with honey can also soothe the throat and I think that there is some clinical evidence to support this strategy. I have also heard that taking steamy showers can help with your dry cough although I myself wouldn't be able to do this.

About the dry cough remedies, I have always used some sort of a syrup but I have no idea which one it was now, I am sure that you can ask in the pharmacy about it, that is what I always do, I just go and ask them about the syrup that is used for dry cough and it always works for me. I understand that you have been using some kind of syrup already but that must have been a bad one if it didn't really treat your dry cough, I think that you should really go ahead and try it out with a different kind of syrup.

Hey guys,

I appreciate the help, I don't really want to try another syrup, sorry, so I will just go ahead with what thepleasureismine said. I don't really do steamy showers but I am going to give it a try if you think that it is going to help me. I am also going to drink warm teas with honey, that is at least going to be easy because I love teas, my whole family loves teas actually, we have like a dozen different teas inside our house. Is there maybe some special kind of tea which works the best for dry cough?

By visiting your doctor! I really don't have a clue why people are running away from it. It is not the normal cough that you can heal alone. Maybe during one ethape, you can, but when you notice that whatever you do this won't go away, you need to take some other steps. 

Let me get this clear - when a bad and dry cough won't go away, the only help that you can get is with medications and antibiotics. Sure, you can try some other, home remedies (and they can be very good, but at the beginning). When you are dealing with something like this, something that you are dealing in this moment, this won't go away even if you use home remedies for ages. 

Doctor, please. 

Been there. It is really annoying, right?
I was using some syrups as well, I think that the most effective was marshmallow syrup in my case. You should try it and I think that you can get it without a doctor's prescription. Anyway, there are so many other things that you can do to stop this dry cough, trust me I know from my own experience. Try a menthol cough drop, I don't like menthol but it helps a lot. So a couple of days you can deal with it. Also, you should try to stay hydrated as much as you can. As you can see, there are so many ways how you can try to stop this dry cough, but if this doesn't stop, you should consult your doctor. I hope that your lungs are OK. Good luck.

Why don't you want to try another syrup? Maybe it can help you. For example, I have tried tons and tons of different medicines and syrups until I found mine. But OK, if that is your choice I won't try to convince you to try another one...

Anyway, I appreciate home remedies, but what happens if they can't help? I didn't find any that can help me, but I will tell you about those that I have tried. Maybe you will have a luck with it. 

You need - 3 drops of tea tree oil,1-2 drops of eucalyptus oil. Boil water and take clean, soft towel. Use the towel to cover your head. It might help. 

Home remedies were not helpful to me at all. I have tried so many of them, but nothing. Even if I am a huge fan of natural remedies, nothing...And I am sorry about this. Sure, honey and salt water helped me but only if I combined it with syrups or some other medicines. One day I went to see my doctor because this cough didn't want to go away not even after 20 or more days. He told me that whenever somebody has this problem, with bad, dry cough that is very persistent, he/she should seek for help because sometimes it can be chronical problem or something even worse. So don't avoid visiting your doctor, sometimes that is the only option. Good luck.

Look, persistent cough NEEDS professional treatment. That is sometimes the only option. Whatever you try, whatever you do, if those methods can't help you, seek professional help. This unpleasant pain can be really annoying and it is if you ask me. 

I agree that some pills and syrups worked just fine for me. Yes, nobody like to visit doctors but sometimes you need to do that. A chronic cough is something that is really bad and you don't want to have this problem, right? 

You can try to eat bowl of hot soup, you can use some alternative medicines, but think again what is the best for you.