I'm 25 years old and have been drinking socially for some time now. Every time that I drink more than 3 or so drinks the next day I am sick similar to food poisoning/stomach flu. I have extreme nausea which results in diarrea, dizziness, and sometimes vomiting. Most times I am not able to go about my daily activites and stay in bed sick until I wake up the day after that. Obviously I drink a lot less now because of this but does anyone have experience with anything similar or have any suggestions on what may help?

I am 28 and had exactly the same symtoms. The night of drinking I was fine, but the next morning id wake up feeling sick, Id spend the next 6-8 hour gettting sick (mostly a foam type fluid) on and off. Lying on my side was the only relief but that didnt really offer much help. So after seeing a consultant he recommended sticking a camera down into my stomach, (painless proceedure). anyway it turned out my stomach is producing too much acid and drinking feulled this problem more. My consultant prescribed Nexium but to take as and when needed rather than every day, he also said take Nexium before my meal before drinking alcohol. I dont get sick now after drinking so Nexium worked for me. Luckily I had not developed a stomach ulcer. Do get yourself to a doctor and explain all your symtoms.

I am 21 and i have exactly the same thing - usually it happens the worst when i drink alot and then go straight to bed - e.g. drinking a lot over supper then going to bed straight away without burning off teh alcohol. i ahve found that it is very temperamental - as in sometimes i can go out - drink a lot and be fine in teh morning and sometimes i wake up amd it's like i've completely poisoned myself - i wish i'd learn but i always forget how horrible it is and go out - also because it doesn't happen every time i find it hard to be totally controlled. i tend to feel sick really easily anyway and often have nausea - i went to see the doctor and he gave me tablets but they didn't really help - but i'm going to go back and see if i am also producing too much acid -as it sounds as if i have identical symptoms!! and it's hell.

I just wanted to suggest that everyone who posted or read this thread and has this type of problem, google "abnormal hangover" and the first page that comes up is another thread from SteadyHealth.com that I've read and posted on and we all have similar problems! None of us have answers, but you can gather more stories from day-long agonizing hangover sufferers like myself. Maybe one day ONE OF US will be lucky enough to find a doctor interested enough to investigate the issue.

The one thing most of us have in common is seeing a gastrointerologist and being diagnosed with excess stomach acid, acid reflux, or stomach inflammation (myself included). I've been taking Prevacid for awhile, and also have been on AciPhex (all stomach acid reducers) and this abnormal hangover still haunts me.

The most noteworthy thing about it that I've realized over time is that you NEVER can tell when it's going to happen because it's all conditional. Like most of us are saying, we've drank tons and been fine and we've drank hardly anything and been deathly ill. For me, the severity of it is always the same but the AMOUNT i drink tends to influence how long it lasts. For example, if I drink 4-5 beers I'll recover around 4-5:00 but if it's anymore I can be in bed until 10pm the next day. The lack of consistency to me says that it's not a malfunctioning organ, but more like some type of chemical reaction or SOMETHING.

Whatever is happening, there's enough people who are experiencing the same issue that someone has to have an answer somewhere. It's really hard to be young (I'm 21!) and suffer like this.

I am a 34 year old female and have been dealing with this same problem for a few years now. The first time it happened my husband and I thought I had food poisoning. When it kept happening over and over we realized that it was the alcohol. Like all of you, it has no pattern. It can be from a lot of drinks or very little. It has really affected things in my life. I have missed family functions, have had to cancel previously planned engagements, even missed holiday dinners. It's really horrible.
When it happens to me, I am sick in bed all day, vomitting about every 20 minutes. Since I cannot eat due to the nausea, there is nothing in my stomach to vomit so it's mostly dry heaves or just liquid. It's exhausting and ruins the good time that I had the night before. I could handle a "regular" hang-over but this is debilitating.
The worst episodes tend to be when on an overnight trip. When this happens, it's really bad. I tend to get motion sickness so if I am feeling nauseated and dizzy, a car ride really sets it off. I usually spend an entire trip home vomiting along the side of the road or into a bag. My poor husband has to deal with this. It once took us almost 6 hours to make a 3 hour trip home. HORRIBLE.
Until now, I thought I was the only one who was dealing with this. I have found no cure or even anything that makes it better. The most common opinion that I have heard as an explanation to this is dehydration. I have tried drinking Pedia-lyte and Gatorade before going to bed and also eating something before bed. None of this has worked or even helped with the symptoms.
One semi-comforting thought is that I am not the only one that deals with this. Thank you all for posting your experiences. I wish you all luck. Hopefully we can find something that helps or eleviates this!

I also suffer with this problem, I am 19 years old and it just randomly occurs, after little drink, sometimes after a lot.
I will be going to book a doctors appointment soon and hopefully they will be able to solve this issue. Thanks for all your reply's they have all helped me, and if the doctor says he thinks theres nothing wrong I will demand that camera down my throat just to make sure.

I have the same problems. I used to be a great drinker with no problems. I started having an intolerance to alcohol and food-poisoning like hangovers after I was put on thyroid medication because my thyroid no longer functions. I think this has changed how I metabolize alcohol. If I have more than half a drink I take half before I go to bed (as opposed to in the am). This helps a little. Don't know what to do. 2 glasses of wine will do this to me. But not EVERY time. Very confusing.

Alcohol increases HCl production or acid production in the stomach. Drinking alcohol in excess amounts causes overproduction of the acid. HCl is normally secreted to digest food in the stomach. A night of drinking without eating causes the acid to be secreted without anything to digest in the stomach. As a result, you may experience vomiting which is the body's way of bringing it back to homeostasis. You may also experience slow breathing. As the stomach becomes more acidic, the blood becomes more basic. To compensate for this, your respiratory system will cause your breathing to slow in order to hold onto more carbon dioxide to bring the pH back down. You could always take Pepto Bismal. It is simply a basic solution that will restore your stomach's pH. Alcohol also causes severe dehydration if enough water is not consumed in addition to the alcoholic beverages. Alcohol inhibits a hormone that allows for water to be reabsorbed into the blood stream. Thus, more urine is produced and more water lost. Alcohol can be a very dangerous substance when used in excess. If you decide to drink in excess make sure you eat and drink plenty of water. If not, make sure you have some pepto bismal, eat some salty food and drink lots of water the next morning.

Hey! I am a 38 yo woman, and I have been dealing with this same issue for 20 years. Totally random. Sometimes I can drink a ton and be fine, and sometimes I have a glass of wine or 2 and am vomiting all the next morning. The only things that I've found that help the next day are chicken broth and alka seltzer. My stomach goes totally acidic, so the broth and seltzer help bring it back to a basal level.

Hello...I have recently started to have symptoms such as these and have been unable to find anything on the internet (until now) to indicate that others are suffering the same way. I used to be a huge drinker. I loved to drink. I could finish off an entire bottle myself and be fine. After I had my daughter I was still able to drink, but every once in a while I would vomit if I indulged too much. Now, I cant have ONE beer. If I order a pint of beer with dinner, I would be fine throughout the dinner, Id be good to drive, and I would go to bed..and all of a sudden at 1 or 2 in the morning I will wake up with a sudden urge to make a bowel movement. Sometimes Id experience diarrhea, most times not. I feel dizzy, tingly inside, nauseous. The only thing I can do to relieve the discomfort is to vomit up as much as I can. It is such a bizarre feeling of being poisoned. It is the most uncomfortable feeling I have ever experienced- not painful-but extremely uncomfortable. Its like food poisoning meets motion sickness. It happens with beer, wine, liquor and everything in between. I feel so sad that I cant enjoy a single drink anymore. I went to two doctors. One told me "so dont drink". The other had no answers. The amount of time it takes for me to recover directly relates to how much I drink. I had 6 beers for my birthday and was in bed the next day until dinner time. This from a person who used to funnel beers and go to school in the morning. Depressing. Pepto doesnt help. I know my body is changing, but geez-Im only 28. I just want a damn margarita. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

MadisonJayna I seem to be having almost exactly the same symptoms as you! How has the prevacid and aciphex helped you (apart from no effect on your hangovers)?

Also does anyone know how I go about finding his email?

I've had the same problem as you. Try zantac to start, if that doesn't work, try prescription prevacid or something similar.

I'm a 26 year old female and have been dealing with this since I was 18. The first few times it happened I thought I was drugged, so I went to a health center. They gave me IV's and a few shots...and of course told me that I should not drink. It's a hard thing to be young and not be able to enjoy a few with your friends. I have always thought that I was alone, so it's comforting to know that it happens to others (not that I would wish anyone like this)

I'm recovering from my 4 drinks of last night. Only vomited 3 times today, so that's a plus!!! Other occasions could lead to every 15 mins for an extent of 10 hours. I have yet to find anything out about how to prevent this, except not drinking (which is no fun).

This is the first time that I have found information about this. Thank you all for sharing and if I ever find a cure for myself, I'll be sure to share.

I'm 21 and have just moved to uni, which obviously means a few nights out! I never drink oer excessively as i never like to feel out of control, however i do like to have a few to loosen me up, as most people do!

I've always had this problem, more recently in the last year or so, and always thought it was just my stomach playing up, as it's quite weak and it's very easy for me to feel sick, but more recently it's just gotten worse, and it's putting me off going out because i dread the next day.

Last night I went out and had a big bottle of wkd before I went, followed by 2 alcopops once i was in the club...I got back about 3, and had 2/3 hours of restless sleep, and then I start to get hangover symptoms...headache and feeling sick for about 10 minutes...this rapidly gets worse and worse untill i cant bear the pain and have to go to the toilet...once i'm there i have quite violent diarrhea until the stomach cramps calm down, then i go back to bed....a few minutes later the cramps are back and the cycle repeats..this happens almost everytime i drink! On the odd occassion i've escaped with only a headache or feeling sick (normal hangover symptoms), but I have never woken up feeling fine after drinking even a small amount!

I also experience a feeling of being very cold and shivering uncontrollably even in a warm room. I can't turn the heating on or put anything around my neck though because I get the feeling that i'm suffocating...i've been known to sit topless, shivering because i cant take it! I always feel sick, however it's rare that I actually am...and if i am it's uaully a foamy substance or yellow stomach bile as i have nothing left in my system at this point! this will carry on for most of the day, which means i can never be too far away from a toilet, so if i go out, i have to plan it so i have nothing on the next day, which is difficult as im a student who has a full 5 day a week timetable!

It's very hard for me to cope with, and like alot of the other posts, it feels like i'm being poisened, and it's brought me to tears so many times! It's comforting to know that other people are experiencing the same things and can sympathise...(and i sympathise with them!) as most people shrug it off and just think i'm being a drama queen about having a hangover, which i'm really not!

I've always wondered whether i might be allergic to alcohol? Has anybody else had any allergy tests done?

...to further on this topic. I have done some 'self testing'. For about a month every time I went out drinking I was getting horribly sick. After reading a few people's suggestions about taking an antacid, I decided to try the same thing. Now, I've only done this a few times but before I went out drinking I made sure I ate, drank a glass or two of water and took some Pepto-Bismol. When I returned home (after several drinks and shots) I took another dose of Pepto. It seemed to work for me. I haven't been sick the past times I went drinking. Hopefully it keeps working.