Hello! My husband always has a restless sleep. He is turning in the bed all the time and wakes me up almost every night. At first this happened only occasionally, usually when he was under great stress, or very tired, but it started getting worse few months ago. When I talk to him he says he feels pins and needles and that he has to move his legs. My sister says this is a restless leg syndrome and that there is no cure for it. What should I do?

Hello! Try to sleep in another room – I am joking. Well, your sister is right. There is no cure for restless legs syndrome but there are many things your husband could do to relieve symptoms. He should avoid coffee, alcohol and smoking at least few hours before bedtime. He should do some exercise every day or at least take a walk for a half an hour. Eating heavy meals should be avoided as well as daytime naps and he should maintain a regular sleep schedule.

My sister in law has RLS as well. She has been taking REQUIP which is a prescription from her Doctor. It may be worth a try.

I also have that, requip is what I finally got. It works great.

Try taking a hot bath . Ive even taken a natural nite time aid called Melatonin. It works really well. My husband cant stand when I am that restless. It is misrable and it only wants to come out at nite.

Thank goodness. I thought I was imagining that orgasm relieved the symptoms. I've suffered for years, now have rls in my arms, too. Runs in the family. I quit taking antidepressant Remeron because it made them SO much worse, as do many drugs like valium. Am taking Mirapex, but have lost my health insurance coverage and they are EXPENSIVE. Nice to find internet support, thanks!
Katie

Hi there, it's an unusual cure for the problem but I'm glad to hear that there is at least a solution to the problem! I don't think I would ahve ever guessed that you could do something so easily to help alleviate the symptoms of RLS but that sounds like a great cure. I hope that anyone else who is suffering from this would know that this is a nice treatment in case you can't afford the pills. Keep us posted!

It is true, for me as well masturbation helps. But like someone else mentioned, it would be nice if a doctor is around and perhaps can explain this, so that i don't have to sneak out of bed every night (cos i have it every night) and put my load in a dirty sock in the room next door....does take away a lot of romance out of your relationship...and frankly, i don't know about you guys but masturbating every night just doesn't work for me.

The orgasm solution only works for a short period of time. For mild sufferers, maybe this allows them to get to sleep and that may be enough. My symptoms seem to worsen between when I take the requip and when it kicks in 1 to 2 hours later, and the O solution can alleviate symptoms for that time period. I think this aspect of the experience is an important data point that I hope doctors and medical researchers are aware of, but I am not at all sure that is the case. I hope an MD responds to this post because their input would be very much welcomed (as would any other sufferers that have the same, or different!, experiences and or viewpoints).

Requip, the medicine used to treat RLS, is a dopamine agonist. Dopamine is part of our body's reward system, and is released during orgasm. Dopamine is also used in our basal ganglia to help coordinate our movements. So, it makes perfect sense that an orgasm would temporarily relieve RLS symptoms.

Hi there:
I'm a doctor, and asked one of my colleagues in this area about RLS and orgasm. He found a text book chapter on this but its not widely known and not researched at all, doctors and researchers are too embarrassed too look into it. We should get over it, as it does prevent a real possible cure!

In an article I read, Brazilian researchers have found that RLS is related to a lack of dopamine and mastrubation is a natural way to release dopamine into the body, thus relieving RLS.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***