What causes restless knee syndrome? My husband has been diagnosed with this syndrome and doctor recommended him to do deep knee bends or other leg exercises as close to bedtime as possible. How dangerous condition is restless knee syndrome?

Did you mean restless legs syndrome? I don’t think there is a “restless knee syndrome”. 1/20 Americans has restless legs syndrome, which may be inherited. Many doctors believe it may be triggered by stress, a nutritional deficiency or some sort of imbalance in brain chemistry. It is not dangerous and doesn't lead to serious neurological disorders. It is good for your husband to do exercise before bedtime.

i have tried to reply twice and time it gets wiped out...................yes i suffer from RKS..................and yes there is RKS that starts with the 'electric like buzz' that comes every 1-2 min and starts in lower leg and takes roughly 20i seconds to reach the knee which results in an involuntary 'jerking' of the knee.  this buzz is similar to the feeling you experience when a doctor strikes the knee to check for reflexes.

this, if unchecked with heavy dose of sleeping benzidiazopine (sp?) can become torturous - like chineze water torture.

i have explained this to several doctors who look at me with a puzzled look...............which is about as helpful as pouring gassoline on a fire.............................................if you can help ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hello there,

Well since your husband has been seeing his doctor and he is diagnosed, in my opinion, restless legs syndrome I believe that your worries and additional questions should be directed toward your doctor. Working out before bedtime for this condition is great and your husband should continue with this to reduce the symptoms of the restless legs syndrome.

If there is any way for him to reduce his stress level that would be great and you should do what is in your power to help him with this. Try to be supportive and in case that you have children, because it is believed that this condition is hereditary talk with your doctor about testing. Good luck.

I have exactly what you just described. It's horrible, keeps me awake all night long.

I have had this since I was pregnant in 1988, I have been to my doctors on number of occasions and was told to take pain killers, it has TOTALLY controlled my life, I do on average of 250 knee exercises every night in bed, and it works for about 5 minutes, if i sleep more than 3 hours a night i think i have had a lie in im very tired all the time, no energy where im so tired, i have tried hot cloths cold cloths creams sprays, nothing has helped so any suggestions could mean a full nights sleep thank you
wendy

I had this for several years but my grandmother gave me a copper anklet and it worked.....happy!!!

I have those very same sensations in my knees. I do have RLS, but the jerking is in my knee.

I suffer with jerking if the legs bit the the jerkiness is caused by my knees feeling restless. To elevate this I push my thumb down on the top of the knee cap and move the knee cap against my thumb to cause pain around the top of the knee cap. This takes the restless Lena’s away for about as long as the pain Is there but once gone it’s back again. I also move my legs side to side a lot which helps a tiny bit. It’s an absolute nightmare as I can’t sleep or relax properly. Anyone with any other ideas please?

I too suffer from Restless Knees at night. I have tried everything as well. What sometimes works is TENS machine, heating pad and you could also try taping your knees with Kinesiology Tape. I have also noticed laying on certain sides at night make it worse and sleeping on my stomach/knees seems better.

Sometimes Aspercreme with Lidocaine rubbed into the knees helps a bit.

I think I have restless knee syndrome and also, restless leg syndrome. Each one is a miserable condition. This RKN is the pits. How do you stop it?

Its defintely restless knees syndrone. I have had it for years caused by tennis playing when younger. Lack of exercise. All i can do is deep bend the knees. Scotch helps.