Hello everybody,

I’ve been suffering from fibromyalgia for 2 years now and I’ve recently developed restless legs syndrome, as well. In fact in my case it’s not so much restlessness as it is leg cramping during the night. I’ve been prescribed Requip to deal with RLS, but I’ve been on it for a month now and it just doesn’t work.

Since cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) is a muscle relaxant drug I figure it has better chance to relieve my leg cramps, and I plan to discuss this with my doctor during the next appointment. In the meantime, if there’s anyone on here suffering from either restless legs syndrome or leg cramps, what medication are you using and how are you managing your symptoms?

Hello Dawid,

I have a pretty bad case of restless legs syndrome due to my genetic disorder and so far I've been able to manage RLS only with the combination of medications, physical therapy and massage.

As far as Requip is concerned, it didn't help me at all and I was nauseous all the time while I was taking it. Now, I'm taking both Flexeril and Klonopin to help me with RLS. The combination doesn't completely eliminate all the symptoms, but they are far less severe than when I was on Requip.

Hi Dawid,

cyclobenzaprine is, as you already know, a muscle relaxant so it seems like it would be straightforward solution for your leg cramps. I think you definitely should discuss this with your doctor, especially because you're taking Requip and risk side effects and it's not helping with your leg cramps.

One additional thing that works slower, but definitely does help with leg cramps is taking magnesium supplement. Combined with other treatments, magnesium will definitely help you to get relief from RLS.

Cheers

Hello, thanks for your replies! I went to see my doctor and even though Requip is not working, it seems that Flexeril wouldn't be a good solution either, mainly because it's officially recommended that it's used only for two-three weeks (not quite sure why). But he did gave me a prescription for Soma, also a muscle relaxant that should help with my fibromyalgia pain as well, so I'm hoping leg cramps will subside in following weeks. I've started using magnesium supplement as well, so we'll see how things go.