Hi, I am a mother of a five years old girl. She was developing just fine. She ran, jumped and was full of energy, like any other five year old. Three months ago her behavior suddenly changed. She was always sleepy, became very inactive and complained about headaches. I took her to see a doctor and he diagnosed her with hydrocephalus. I was so upset that I didn't hear a thing he was saying. I only understood that hydrocephalus can cause serious damage to the eyes. Will my girl go blind? Is there any chance for her to recover from this condition?

Hi, hydrocephalus is a very serious condition. It is caused by the excessive build up of a cerebrospinal fluid around the brain. This fluid pressures the brain to the scull and this causes damage to the brain tissue. Consequences can be terrible. This illness may also affect the eyes. Your daughter may experience blurred or double vision, various deviations of the eyes such as crossed eyes. I am afraid that the only solution for your daughter is surgery. You should ask your doctor about shunt system placement procedure. The shunt system will enable the excessive fluid around the brain to be transported from the scull to another part of the body where it can be successfully eliminated. This way you can give your child a chance for a normal life with as little consequences as possible.

Having hydrocephalus is a severe condition.
It has no cure, but it has treatments like
brain shunts. With this the excess fluid in
the brain can be removed.