I need some info regarding obstructive hydrocephalus treatment –is there anyone with such experience for I really need to hear how effective the surgery could be in treating obstructive hydrocephalus-that is how my 3 years old son is diagnosed about a month ago for lately it has become so obvious his head size was rapidly increasing and also he suffers from vomiting, sleepiness and fatigue and he also had few seizures attacks-anyway all this was recognized as obstructive hydrocephalus and I would now appreciate if someone explains to me what exactly does that means and what is the best obstructive hydrocephalus treatment? Thanks!

Your son's hydrocephalus condition is probably of congenital character but no matter if it is congenital or not hydrocephalus always indicates disrupted cerebrospinal fluid flow that affects important brain functions including providing the brain with proper nutrients so regarding this fact you have the symptoms described and which are common in patients with hydrocephalus. Anyway when it is about obstructive hydrocephalus it means that it is caused by some brain ventricular system obstruction that causes unusual CSF flow and basically one of the main causes of obstructive hydrocephalus is narrowing of the brain channels that connects 2 ventricles so the only treatment opt here is surgery which I recommend sincerely for my now 12 years old daughter was diagnosed also with obstructive hydrocephalus when she was 2 y/o and soon after she had shunt system surgery and I am very satisfied with the results regarding the fact that her obstructive hydrocephalus symptoms were significantly reduced including the head size also and she also had another shunt system surgery just few months ago for she has grown up and there was a need to replace those shunts and I think this one is for life now.

I think the most effective treatment for
that is shunts. I would like to share the
link below for you to know more about
obstructive hydrocephalus.

I myself was diagnosed with hydrocephalus a few years ago. I was told I had only a few months to live. My nuerosurgeon suggested two treatments, a shunt (normally used in children due to the fact that they are still growing) or ventriculostomy. I chose the latter and am very happy with the results. Of course the smptoms never really go away. I still suffer headaches etc but .. I'm here with my children.