Hi, I have been diagnosed with spondylolisthesis when I was thirty. At first the pain was acute and I was able to deal with it, but the situation has drastically worsened in the last year. Physical therapy and pain killers don't work anymore. My doctor has suggested spinal fusion surgery as a permanent solution. I have understood the procedure and it sounds very logical. However, I am worried about the recovery. How will this procedure affect my movement diapason?

Hi, in the most severe cases of spondylolisthesis, like yours, spinal fusion surgery may be the only solution. Because the pain is caused by the slippage of the vertebrae, spinal fusion procedure is used to pull the slipped vertebrae in its normal place. I know that this operation sounds simple, but it is not. Many complications, such as infections, can happen during the surgery that may last up to twelve hours. The recovery usually lasts four to six months. In the first days after the surgery you will feel intense pain, but the doctor will manage it with pain killers. It is true that your movement will be reduced, but that is the point of spinal fusion. Few weeks after the surgery you will start physical therapy that will help you to adjust to a new situation. I also have to say that you should not expect miracles from spinal fusion. It will help you, but it will not eliminate the pain completely. I think that if you have some doubts you should talk to your doctor about them, because spinal fusion is a very serious and complex operation and you should be familiar with all the facts before you make a decision.