I’ve been struggling with my Hba1c values for so many years. I’m 61 years old and I have diabetes for 7 years now. In the beginning was just diet, I really did my best but the lowest value I have ever had was hbA1c from 7,8%. Then metformin for 5 years and my HbA1c went never below 7,1%, and since 4 months sulfonylurea more specific glicazide! Fantastic! And yes!! I finally got my HbA1c down to 6,1%!! I’m so glad about it. I just would like to understand what does this sulfonylurea do? Why did it work so fast? I want to keep my HbA1c this way! How long will I be taking gliclazide? Or is just for a short period and I’ll go soon to insulin?

There are different types of medicine to treat diabetes and they act at different places or moments from the sugar metabolism. It is great that sulfonylurea is working good for you. Sulfonylureas have been used for so many years now in the treatment of diabetes, actually their most important action is in the pancreas. Sulfonylurea binds in the membrane of pancreatic beta-cells and increases the secretion of insulin. Having then more insulin your blood glucose levels drop. This is the biggest difference with metformin that has no effect on the secretion of insulin. And when you asked why it worked so fast it is because it works in a different manner. For this reason it is also is important that you take care not to have hypoglycemia, and not to forget to follow your meal plan. Also it’s very important not forgetting to do physical activity , because some patients when their HbA1c gets better they think sports are not so necessary anymore but doing sports is always important. It is not possible to say how long you will take it, some patients take it life-long and others after some time have to go on to insulin. Keep on taking a good care of yourself!

It is wonderful that your blood sugars are more manageable and that your A1c has improved so much! I am glad that the glicazide is working great for you. You will want to watch the glicazide, however, as it tends to cause more hypos than the metformin. Metformin is always the med doctors like to prescribe because of this fact. You could be on glicazide for many years to come before needing any insulin. I hope that it continues to work for you favorably and that you have many good years yet to continue living healthy. Good luck on this medication.