I had the diagnose of diabetes type 2 ,  three months ago. Since then I have changed my life style completely! From not doing any sport at all, I’m walking 60 minutes 5 times a week! Not bad for a 60 year old lady! I have also started a great diet with a nutritionist. Next week I will have my first HbA1c! I’m so anxious about it! Which values will be considered good? Or at least good enough not to have to go on medication? I will also get a new meter, I’ve borrowed one the last 3 months but I don’t trust the results, it was an old meter from a neighbor and the strips were also not valid anymore, I got too high bg values and I don’t trust them. I hope the HbA1c will show this also. Is there a direct relationship between HbA1c values and BG values?

Amazing! I have to say that I admire you, you are really an amazing and bright sample of how someone should take a proper care of itself. I also was diagnosed to lower hemoglobin A1C levels and I have to say that I haven't done a lot about it. I was like - I am going to sit and cry because I have this diagnosed. No, you can't sit and cry! You should take some steps and follow some good diet programs and get into sneakers and do some sports! When it comes to your question, there is some connection, but I am not sure which one exactly. I mean, I never needed to learn it :/ 

Well done! Not everybody has the power to change substantially their lifestyle! Keep on the good work! Now , about the HbA1c value, I guess your GP will be glad first of all that there is a decrease in your hba1c around the time you have been diagnosed (if you did one), if you didn’t I think he will want a value around 6,5-7,0%. And even if it is a little bit higher he may still keep you just on diet if you are losing weight. The second question: yes, there is a mathematical relationship between HbA1c and average glucose levels. The estimated average glucose (eAG) is for the different  levels of HbA1c the following: a HbA1c from 6%=126mg/d eAGl, 7%=154mg/dl eAG, 8%=183mg/dl eAG, 9%=212mg/dl eAG. Those are average values. If you meter is not working good your HbA1c will correspond to lower values then the ones you have measured! Good luck!

That is great that you are able to change your life around and really hit this head on!  You should see astonishing results from your interventions.  Exercise and losing extra weight in addition to dietary changes will make a big difference in your A1c result.  How has your blood sugars been running on your new meter?  I will be anxious to hear what your A1c result ends up being.  I wish you the best in getting your diabetes under control and even reversed, because it can be done!