Almost two months ago I got the bad news: ” Sir I must tell  that you have diabetes. Despite the fact that you don’t have any symptom, it is really diabetes”. To me was like a nightmare, my dad died from heart complications of his diabetes, and I must confess I’ve been eating a lot the last years, I’m overweight and I was completely sedentary. I don’t have to tell that from the moment I have heard this I’ve changed the way I eat,  I just eat exactly what the nurse nutritionist told me, I didn’t drink a sip of alcohol, I’m walking 4 time a week 50 minutes. And the most impressive: I’m quitting smoking. Yesterday I got my lab results online, my bg fasting was 94mg/dl but my was HbA1c  7,9%!!  Now if this is what I get after doing nothing wrong, what will happen next? I’m so disappointed with my 1st hbA1c after diagnosis!

Don’t be too hard on yourself. As you have mentioned you did your best. You are quitting smoking, isn’t that great? Congratulations! The fasting glucose was good.  Now about the HbA1c as you might know it reflects the average values of your BG levels from approximately the last 12 weeks, so you have started your life-style changes less than 8 weeks ago, your HbA1c maybe still reflect the high values you had before you were taking good care of your diet. It can be that your next Hba1c will be better. It can also be that your body will need extra help, so if it doesn’t get better your doctor may give you some medications for it. Normally they will start with metformin. But for now, you don’t really have to worry about your hba1c. keep on doing the right way, you won’t regret anyway.

I agree. This is not something that you can control over the night. Also, there are so many different factors that can play a huge roll in your lower hemoglobin A1C levels, there are so many different factors, not just one. So, I agree that you should not be that hard to yourself since you have so little things to do and you have to be patient. The main step is to have a proper and good diet program that is going to help you go back to the track. After you respect this diet program, everything is going to be way better. But you have to wait. Don't judge yourself. 

It looks like that the A1c wasn't done at the proper time. You said that you was diagnosed 2 months ago? Your A1c should be drawn every 3 months to reflect the amount of glucose in the red blood cells more accurately. Red blood cells live for about 3 months and that is why the test is done at that interval. You should see about having another one done in a month. This will be more reflective of what your blood sugars really are. Then you will see that you are doing an awesome job turning your diabetes around! You will be pleased ;)