I have "extra" ribs at the bottom of my rib cage, where they stop half-way across my cage, and do not connect to the center of my rib cage. 

My mother has it on her left part of her rib cage, and I have it on both. 

Does anyone know what this is?

Look up "floating ribs." Everyone has them - you should have two pair at the bottom of your rib cage; two on either side. They attach to your spine but do not come all the way around to connect to your sternum so they appear to kind of "float." The ends are kind of rubbery - weird, isn't?!

An extra rib or pair at the bottom of the human rib cage, are referred to as the 13th (26 total) lumbar ribs or "gorilla's ribs" because your genetic cousins the Gorilla has them. It is a genetic "through back" from Homo sapiens evolution from the Great Apes. This 13th rib is so a "floating rib" as is ribs 11 and 12, in that they are short and not connected to the sternum by cartilage. There also modern humans that only have 11 pairs of ribs, missing the last pair of floating ribs due to evolutionary changes to a smaller chest.
PhD Evolutionary Anthropology.