how do I know if I have a cracked rib

hi, the only definite way to know is an xray, however if you give a bit more info such as symptoms and mechanism of injury i could give you some general advice.

I'm fairly sure that I've got a fractured rib. It does hurt to take deep breath, the pain is a sharp one that hurts when I twist at the waist and it hurts terribly to press on it. It hurts to laugh and cough. I don't want to go to the doctor. It will heal on it's own, right? :-(

It depends on the mechanism of injury - how you did it, for example if you fell and landed against a low wall then quite possible, if you woke up like it then no, the symptoms you are giving are quite vague and could be indicative of a fracture, however they could also be the result of something else. even if it is a broken rib it would still be best to be checked out as there could be a risk of damaging yourself further if you leave it, i would still recommend that you see a dr considering that you are still pain. hope this helps

My husband cracked two ribs snowboarding a week ago and has nausea, vomiting and pain. Went to the doctor yesterday and gave him a rib belt and pain medication. The concern is the nausea and vomiting. He feels good for a few hours and then gets really ill. Is this a symptom of something else? They said that pain can cause nausea and vomiting.
Help?

hi, yes the pain can cause pain and vomitting however the pain meds that he has been gived cauld also cause these symptoms ifnot make them worse, it depends what he has been prescribed the dosage and whether or not he is ating before/after correctly. it sounds as though the doctor has it in hand, however it may be worth seeing if the meds are exacerbating the problem, if the symptoms are really bothering him there are meds available to combat this, speak to your doctor about this. hope this helps

i was going down the stairs and slipped on the wet steps, i fell on a staire on my right elbow and right side of my back. my elbow got an instant bruise, and my back it real sore. it hurts to take a deep breath and when i lay down it really hurts, it also hurts to twist or bend over to pick anything up. when i touch it, it sends a sharp pain. how bad do you think it is?

just so ya know goin to the doc is out of the ? i have no insurence or a job for that matter

Hi Karhark, from the info you have give it is quite possible that you have damaged your ribs, hopefully you are just bruised however without looking at you properly it is impossible to tell. If you landed on your elbow as well consider the amount of pain you are in, your elbow is bruised, is the pain in your side a lot worse than this or about the same? if it is about the same I would suggest taking some anti-inflammatories if you are able to and some painkillers and see how you go, however if the pain is much worse then the only course of action really is to see a doctor. If the ribs are broken then you risk doing more damage to yourself if not properly treated. Hope this helps in some way.

the pain is worse than my elbow. and i have been putting heat and ice on my back, i have also been taking pain killers. what i find really weird is that there is no bruising on my back at all but it hurts so much. why is that

hej, yesterday i tripped and fell and my lower ribs hit the side of qa bench hard. it does not hurt to breath but when i apply pressure, strech or twist i feel a slow searing pain. help?

I have been having increasing sharp pain on my left side of ribcage under my breast bone and looking at it in a full length mirror it protrudes outward, compared to the right side, you can see something is defenitly wrong just by looking, and it is very painful getting worse daily, and tender to the touch some bruising noted around the breat bone area, and breast area, did not fall recently or injured myself as i know of, but mild pain medication is not helping. What could this be and should i go have a xray taken of? :?

I get a sharp pain when breathing deeply, when I twist my upper body and when I press on a specific place on my rib.
Could it be a fracture or just a bruise ?(no swelling or bruising visible)
If it is fractured / cracked, is there anything that needs to be done, or does it just heal itself....if so, how long does it take.

hubby was goofing around wrestling with another guy.facing my husband the other guy rushed toward hubby and wrapped his arms around his upper waist. the other guy clasped his hands into a fist then hubby fell hard on the ground with his upper left side of his back hitting the fist. all the air got knocked out of him. he went to ER next day had x-ray and cat scan. they said bruised muscles. Can a back rib be slightly fractured but not show up on xray till a few days later? he also feels a popping noise in that area of his back. how long do these injuries usually last?

Hi, by going to the Dr you have done the right thing, if your husband has fractured a bone then it will show up on x-ray, however these are interpreted by humans and errors can occur. If you have a concern it is always worth a second opinion, I would recommend giving it a few days with the painkillers and anti-inflammatories though, as bruised muscles can be very painful but will ease off with time, take things slow and easy to begin with and then pick up the pace with regards to exertion. hope this helps