I have a hard egg sized ball where the two sides of my rib cage connect on my upper chest. The area I always called the sternum. I am 64 years old with no other symptoms. I have noticed it for some years but suddenly it seems larger, particularly when I am lying on my back. Our family MD said it was just cartilage and not to worry. I may go next week and ask for an x ray. How common of a conditon is this?
Is it necessay to search out a specialist? If so, what is the specialty?

is anyone going to answer this question? I have the same thing.

I have same thing also. Doc said the same to me! but it is slowly getting bigger and more uncomfortable. Whats the outcome if it keeps growing?

i have the exact same thing in the same area. i haven't seen a doc about it because i'm afraid he'll say it's cancer.... i guess ignorance is blizz. it's been growing for the past three or four years. i feel no pain but lately i've felt so much discomfort. i'll check with the doc next week and i'll get back to you guys on his answer

I know how u all feel.

over the past 2 months ive been waking up feeling like im sleeping on a rubber ball when i sleep on the right side.

An ultrasound scan yesterday showed that one of the smaller floating ribs at the bottom of the ribcage has expanded close to the end. Im waiting on blood results and my doctor to call me back before i find out whats going on.

I took a look around the internet - saw that infections like summat call Actinomycosis can cause such things.

Ive had recent hernia surgery and dental surgery - it seems this can be a path for infections like that.

Im no doctor but im hoping it is an infection of this sort rather than anything worse. IUll keep u informed of any results - in the meantime get it checked people - dont hesitatate or you could create more problems for yourself.

All the best people,

Paul

Me too. I will be 55 in June. I guess we can just chalk it to "getting old"

I have the same thing on my left side. I also have been having some muscle and joint issues. I had to start cutting back on milk and bell peppers and curtain spices. Theses things started around the same time.

I have the same thing, been noticing it for about the last year or so. For me it feels kinda hard so dont think it can be soft tissue, feels more like the bottom of my ribs are growing more bone. It feels sore but not that bad. If you keep pressing on it kinda gets sore for the day. Have you guys found out what it is yet?

In response the the first few posts regarding the painless lump between where the rib cage meets.  This is nothing to be concerned about.  It is called the Xiphoid Process.  If you Google this, you will find more information on this cartilage.  I imagine that if you have lost weight recently, it might also be more noticeable than in the past.  Don't lose sleep over this!

I to have the same thing and it does not show on x-rays either.

I have the same thing and i am 35 yrs old. Had it for about 7 or 8 yrs and the dr said the same thing to me. I think it has gotten bigger too. I still have no idea what it could be.

I feel the same & m just 35.. 

I have the same thing and I had it on my knee. when you were forming in utero your cartilage cells went crazy basically and overproduced cartilage cells. no biggie!

i am 48 and discovered i hadthis a few years back, dr. told me it was a cartilage deposit on ribs and to take ibropfen  that seemed to work, didnat have any more problems until a month ago.   had an intestial bacteria infection a few days after finished meds, my ribs and stomach started hurting, very swelled up. they did an ultra sound, spleen and kidneys fine, still in pain, they did a CT scan said i was midly constipated, but ribs still hurting, went for follow up the other day, he siad the same thing, spleen, kidneys, intestine, stomach, all good, have inflammation in ribs from cartilage deposit , just take ibropfen, well it is still inflammed, and very uncomfortable. feels like i have a ball stuck in my rib cage under my breast.  but very blessed andn thankful it is not something worse, praise the lord.  i guess this is just something we are going to have to live with.

I have a small growth of cartilage about half the size of my fist just on the right side of my sternum. I've had it all my life so I haven't realy been concerned about it, I just came here wondering what exactly it was- I'm 15 in April. If it's nothing to be worried about then I'll wait until I'm older and then probably get it removed. It causes me no discomfort or pain, it's just kinda awkward.