Hey everyone, i'm 19 and i have phimosis/frenulum breve. I can retract the foreskin when i'm flacid (even though it's uncomfortable due to the frenulum breve) but when erect i can't even get two thirds past the head. Anyways i've been doing research a lot and i found out that i might need to get the frenoplasty (is it covered by insurance? I don't want my parents finding out, i live by myself). My question is,

Should i do the stretching of the foreskin to deal with the phimosis first and then when it's fixed get the frenoplasty? Or should i just go to the doctor now, and fix the phimosis and frenulum breve altogether?

P.S. Anyone tried the steroid creams? Do they really work?

The diagnosis of frenulum breve is frequently confounded with that of phimosis. The condition may be easily treated without major surgery by threading a suture through the lower membrane, and then tying a tight knot around the frenulum itself. After a few days the frenulum will weaken and eventually break apart to allow the prepuce to fully retract. Stretching exercises and steroid creams may also be helpful. Alternatively, it may be treated by a reparative plastic surgery operation called a frenuloplasty, or by complete circumcision including removal of the frenulum (frenectomy).

Your doctor may suggest getting both fixed at the same time since fixing the frenulum is going to have to be done by the doctor anyway.

Phimosis is sometimes used as a justification for circumcision, so that it will be covered by a national health system or insurance plan.

Regarding phimosis, application of topical steroid cream for 4-6 weeks to the narrow part of the foreskin is relatively simple and less expensive than surgical treatments. It has replaced circumcision as the preferred treatment method for some physicians in the U.K. National Health Service.

Thanks for the reply, i think i'm going to deal with the phimosis first by stretching the foreskin (once i'm able to retract the foreskin when erect i'll get the frenuloplasty), does that sound ok? I know that a doctor can also give me a small operation to cure my phimosis but i think it's cheaper to stretch it myself. One more question: is the frenuloplasty covered by insurance? And is the operation for phimosis covered by insurance too? I'm 19 so i can go to the doctor alone and avoid the awkward conversation with the parents but won't be able to if i need to pay for the surgery.

Oh! and, do i need a prescription to get the steroid cream? Or can i find something similar at a pharmacy over the counter?

Sorry, I can't definitively say whether the procedures are covered by insurance. It most certainly varies with the provider and supporting documentation from the physician.

The steroidal creams are by prescription only as far as I can determine. Two commonly used steroidal creams are Dermovate cream/ointment (clobetasol) and ELOCON (mometasone furoate cream) Cream.

I think you can get a Vitamin E ointment without a prescription. Vitamin E makes skin more elastic. You can also take it orally in capsule form, and I'm sure you can get that without a scrip.. After you take care of the phimosis, you may find the frenulum breve is better too.

You are normal for your age. Your foreskin is still developing. You can help it develop by stretching it.

When your penis is erect, gently pull your foreskin back against the head of the penis. As the head attempts to pass through the foreskin it will stretch the skin a little. Do this every day and in a few weeks or months your foreskin will widen and you will be able to retract your foreskin. Do NOT force retraction.

It works by tissue expansion. Stretching skin induces “mitosis” which is a word that means “division of cells”. New skin cells are formed and the skin expands but it takes some time. The increase in size is permanent. Be patient and let mitosis do its work.

The important thing is to put the skin under tension every day so that it will grow wider.

Frenulum

That piece of skin at the bottom of the glans is called the frenulum. It is normal and it is supposed to be there. The frenulum serves to limit the rearward travel of the foreskin.

If your foreskin bunches up behind the head when you retract you most likely have a short frenulum (frenulum breve). Test it by pulling back on the foreskin. If the head of your penis bends down when you pull back your foreskin, you have frenulum breve.

You can stretch the frenulum manually just like you do your foreskin. That is the best course of action if the frenulum is too short to permit your foreskin to retract.

There also is a minor operation to relieve the frenulum, called frenuloplasty and another called frenectomy. One of these might be necessary, if the stretching does not work. Urologists do this.

Don’t let anyone sell you a circumcision. Circumcision is NOT necessary to treat this condition.