I just took a single dose of zithromax to cure chlamydia. How long before the symptoms start to go away. Its been about 30 hours and I feel a little better but I still have a discomfort.

C&G co-infections are *really* common, so here's the regimen:

Chlamydia:

Standard dose for Chlamydia is one (1) dose of one (1) gram of Zithromax (Azithromycin) for uncomplicated cases.

If you take it in tablet form you may eat 2 hours before/after

If you take it in capsule form you may NOT eat 2 hours before/after

48 hours and all symptoms should be gone. If not, you should get yourself checked for gonorrhea - which often co-infects.

Gonorrhea:

Standard dose for Gonorrhea is 400mg of Cefixime

Same rules apply for tablet/capsule as Zithromax

You may take it all in one shot but your stomach and other organs may not appreciate it. It may also wipe out most of the beneficial bacteria in your guts and give you the runs.

You may want to take the Cefixime and then the Zithromax before you go to bed - be SURE to drink plenty of water and eat lightly.

molly11 wrote:

The Zithromax will take about a week to clean out your system. Give it time. Keep in mind that this is a bacterial infection and it takes time for the anitbodies to get to the site and work their magic. It will all be over soon enough. But make sure than any partner(s) you have get tested becuase you could contract it from them again.

At what interval of time should you take the Cefixime and the Azithromycin?

After how much time should i take the azithromycin after i take the cefixime?

I took Zithromax for chlymidia and i vomited the dose after about an hour, should i go back to my doctor for another dose?

I took the single dose of Zithromax with food about 50 hrs ago. Symptoms are 90% gone, but I still feel a very slight amount of discomfort (tingling) inside the penis. No discharge of any kind. Is it possible that the food has hampered the effect of the medication? (pharmacist told me to take it with food....) Should I go back to doctor to ask for a second dose of 1g of Zythromax or give it a few more days? Thank you

Alright, I know this is a dead thread, but since it was the first thing that came up on google, I figured I'd leave my experience. I contracted a "severe" case of chlamydia about a month ago, where I experienced intense burning, itchy discomfort and discharge. Within 2 days I had constant green discharge, so I went to my doctor who visually and through urine analysis diagnosed me with chlamydia (UA takes 72 hours roughly). He prescribed one shot of Rocephine, and Zithromax 1 gram oral suspension. I took both within an hour. The symptoms did not go away for 10 days approx, with the last symptom being slight irritation after urination. About 72 hours after taking the medication I felt the symptoms lessen dramatically. But as I say a lot of times the best way to get out of a sh*tty situation, is to never get in it. Always wear a condom, and get tested regularly. Chlamydia is a serious disease, yes, but is easily treated if caught early. If you experience symptoms, man up and get treated.

Hope this helps.

There are more steps to that than just taking a pill.You can not only treat chlamydia from one dose of Zythromax. Zythromax only kills the bacteria and slows it down from spreading at the hospital they only give you one. the shot that the hospital gives you kills the infection. and there are several antibiotics not just one. It also depends how long you have had the infection to determin if Zithromax is right for you and if your body is going to absorbing it. if it doesnt then you have to be prescribed somthing else that your body and immune system isnt going to reject. The reason you need to go to the doctor is because the longer you have it unreated is because it can develope into gonorrhea and can keep you from having kids. the pills that are usually written for you by the doctor is suppose to be orange and you take about 30 - 56 of them. to clear all the infections and other infections. these are the prescriptions that can be prescribed but with out that shot you still have it. zithromax zpak, z-tri-pak, azithromycin, erythromycin,and amoxicillian. Usually for chlamydia the pills that should be takin are Tetracyclin those are the ones that should be giving not Zithromax but you need the shot. Bacteria and infection are to different things.

oi 'Guest' . I suggest you stop getting all high and mighty. I too was prescribed one dose of Azithrymycin and it WORKED, so there. It's a SIMPLE treatment, so why go and further worry people? Its a serious issue anyway and they already will be worried. You are clearly just thick and set in your ways: treatments change; and there are also several ways of treating Chlamydia, so what's to say the single dose is wrong? I know it works. My boyfriend knows it works too: same single dose treatment.

I notice in your claim to fame "I have worked in hospitals, I am a pharmacy tech, and have been in a room with people that receive treatment" it doesnt state you're a GP does it? So do us all a favour and keep your trap shut.

Azithromycin should be taken either one hour before a meal or two hours afterwards. Are you sure your pharmacist said to take it with food?

hi! i took zithromax 5 days ago but still feel the burning and itching feeling..does anyone have experienced not getting well after taking the 1 day dosage?what did your doctor told you to do next?im really worried...

I took 1g of Zithromax about 36 hours ago and am still having the burning sensation and the urgency to urinate. Has anyone else had this and how long does it take for the symptoms to go away?

Well I took it Zithromax and my symptoms disappeared within a few days. Maybe 3 or 4. I took it with food, like normal. My Gyno had told me it would go away within 3/4 days because she saw minimal discharge when she examined me. Cly does not turn into Gonno as someone mentioned above, they are 2 different diseases but have similar symptoms and similar long term effects if you do not get treated. Also get your partner treated as well and try and stay away from sex with them for at least a week. Hope this helps someone out there.

i been taking the doxcycline for a week about four days but have the same discharge will the infection leave soon.