My boyfriend and I have been trying for a few months-close to a year and I still haven't gotting pregnant. I thought Its easy to get pregnant so why is it so hard for me? I do have irregular period but it switches all the time so I lose track on my periods. My boyfriend and I tried on 10/17, 2 days after I had my period and I'm really hoping that I am. Do I need to do something to try and keep the result positive?

Hi Unknown,

We don't consider fertility problems until a year has passed without success.

At best, the odds of pregnancy when you have sex are about 1 chance in 5.  That's means that it is just before ovulation.

First off, find out when you ovulate because that is when you are most fertile.  Normally it is between about days 11 and 16 of your cycle.  Day 1 is when your period STARTS.  Assuming you have a 5-6 day period, and you had sex 2 days later, you had sex on about day 7-8.  Sperm can survive up to about 5 days.  So, if you ovulate early you can conceive.  48 hours after ovulation the egg is not viable, not able to be fertilized.

There are ovulation test kits available.  You can also monitor your body basal temperature, and use other methods.  Since you are irregular it is going to be a bit more difficult to figure out exactly when you ovulate.  Ideally, you'd want to have sex just before.

If a year passes with no success then BOTH of you should see a fertility specialist.

Good luck.