I am 20 years old, me and my boyfriend are trying for a baby but were having no luck. I'm wondering if its because my periods are irregular. My periods go in a pattern of 28 days one month to 32 another then to 34 days and then back to 28 and the pattern starts again. Is there anyway I am able to regulate them without going on birth control or to the doctors? I also don't have any clue how long my luteal phase is, can anyone give me any idea how I can find out how long it is?

Hi Sophie,

How long have you both been trying?  If more than a year you BOTH should see a fertility specialist.

To find your luteal phase we'd need to know when you ovulate.  There are ovulation test kits available.  Ideally, you should be try to have sex from about five days before to two days after you ovulate.  Normally, this would be between about days 11 and 16 of your cycle.  Day 1 is when your period starts.

There are drugs that can help regulate your period but you'd need to see a doctor.  A few days change in your cycle length, either way, is not unusual.

Good luck.