Since coming off the contraceptive pill 5 years ago I have had nothing but problems with my cycle.

I initially did not have a period for 18 months then my period returned, I only had one bleed which lasted 6 weeks followed by a further absence of 3 years. Right now I am having my first period in 3 years and it has lasted 9 days, fairly heavy.

Being only 28 years old and never having had a child I am very worried about my fertility. I have been referred to every specialist who can't find any issues, not even PCOS but this just can't be right. One comment is that I am not ovulating regularly (well duh!)

Has anybody experienced something similar? Maybe gone on to have a child or had a doctor who got to the bottom of the problem?

I currently feel exhausted.

I would appreciate all your input, particularly mature women as my GP has advised I may be going thru an early menopause.

Hi safesadie

Sounds like your hormones, or even your ovaries, just aren't in the right order.

A naturopath, particulary one who specialises in fertility issues, can help you find out what's happening with your cycle and help you get it back in order. Ideally, look for an accredited naturopath who practices in functional medicine. He/she will arrange for a saliva test of your hormone levels, and take a look at all your specialist reports. Then they'll use herbs or homoeopathic remedies to get your cycle back in order.

Hope this helps - let us know how you go.

Regards, Olwen :-)

Thanks Olwen,

Would this saliva test show the same results as a blood test does for hormones? I have had 2 blood screens, an internal ultrasound, a glucose tolerance test and a whole host of other things. I have been given lots and lots of treatment for all kinds of illnesses that doctors thought it might be but nothing has worked. I have been treated for PCOS with metformin, I have been given more lotions and potions than I can tell you.

I feel beyond help!!

Sadie

Hi Safesadie

The vast range of testing that you've been through can certainly be disheartening, but its pretty standard for hormone problems like PCOS, as the doctors will go through a process of 'ruling out' anything more sinister. The glucose tolerance test is pretty standard too as PCOS often presents with insulin resistance as a major symptom.

The saliva blood tests show the amount of hormones actually in the tissue fluid. Hormones within the bloodstream can sometimes be bound to protein molecules, and might not give you an accurate picture of what's happening at the cellular level.

Your functional medicine practitioner might not need to put you through another battery of tests anyway, but will certainly approach your treatment from a nutritional and naturopathic perspective - a different perspective.

Hope this helps - locating the cause of your hormonal problems is certainly a chore, but when you find the right practitioner and get on top of the problem you'll feel much better.

Let us know how you go.

Regards, Olwen :-)

I agree with Olwen. Sadie, do you mind updating us on your quest to figure out what the issue is? I would like to hear how you're doing. Thanks!