Hello, I am 56 years old and it looks like I am having some health problems I was not even aware of. The last blood test showed that I have elevated sugar in blood and the doctor said that I should probably have to do oral glucose tolerance test. How is this procedure done anyway?

It is not a complex procedure; the only thing you will have to do is have a balanced diet couple of days before the test is done, so that there is enough glucose in your organism. This test is generally done in order to determine if a person is in a risk group of getting affected by diabetes and this is also performed for pregnant women for discovering gestational diabetes.

On the day of testing, the following steps will be done:

A blood sample will be collected when you arrive. This is your fasting blood glucose value. It provides a baseline for comparing other glucose values.

You will be asked to drink a sweet liquid containing a measured amount of glucose. It is best to drink the liquid quickly. For the standard glucose tolerance test, you will drink 75g to 100g; pregnant women drink 100g of glucose.

Blood samples will be collected at timed intervals of 1, 2, and 3 hours after you drink the glucose. Blood samples may also be taken as soon as 30 minutes to more than 3 hours after you drink the glucose.

Your glucose will be determined and the results will indicate whether or not you may be diabetic.