I have a problem with my menstruation. I have not had one for more than a year it could be more than 2 years believe it or not. I have always had irregular periods since I was younger which would go for 3 - 6mths without one. I currently have 3 healthy children all born natural have not had any problems but still have not yet gotten a period. I mentioned this problem to my OB's and they all tell me everything seems to be alright and that if there was a problem I would not be able to get pregnant. Another suggestion that they have given me is to take birth control pills to regulate my period but I prefer not to put these into my system. I believe that there is something wrong since this does not seem to be normal. The only other symptoms I have would be perodically clear mucous discharge, problem w/urine stains (could be from child birth and nurses using a catheter), and getting bad acne which I believe is caused by my lack of menstruation. Can anyone give me some advice about my situation and/or let me know what type of tests I should be asking for? Your response will be greatly appreciated.

3_geez wrote:

what type of tests I should be asking for? quote]

Ok,the type of test you can take is a Mineral Analysis Test with Supplement and Nutritional Assessment Programme.This test measures the deficiency and excess levels of 7 different minerals and 5 heavy toxic metals that may be present in your body.

there are supplements you can take also:The supplements recommended below have been studied in clinical trials and have been found to be effective in connection with irregular periods. For best results you should take them over a period of three months, at the end of which you should be reassessed in order to monitor improvements and changes and then adjust the supplement programme according to your new condition.

Multivitamin and Mineral
A good quality multivitamin and mineral would form the foundation of your supplement programme to make sure that you are getting a 'little bit of everything'. You then add in those nutrients in slightly higher amounts which are known to be helpful for irregular periods.

B Vitamins
These are often called the 'stress' vitamins because they can help you to cope with the pressures of everyday life. As stress can be such an important factor in causing irregular periods it is important that you have some help in dealing with it. Vitamins B2, B3 and B6 are also necessary for thyroid hormone production and B5 (pantothenic acid) is essential for optimum adrenal function. Both imbalances in thyroid function and stress can affect your cycle.

The easiest way to make sure you are getting a good supply of these vitamins is to take them in the form of a good B-complex tablet. B vitamins are synergistic, which means that they work together.

Antioxidants
Antioxidants are particularly relevant with irregular periods. It is believed that antioxidants have the ability to prevent cells from mutating. In other words, they prevent cells from becoming 'abnormal'. This is extremely important if you have been diagnosed with thickening of the womb lining (endometrial hyperplasia) because you don't want the cells to mutate. Antioxidants include vitamins A, C and E and the mineral selenium. Their effects have been proven: women with womb tumours have been shown to have less of both selenium and vitamin E than women without them so make sure you are getting enough of these valuable nutrients.

Magnesium
This mineral has been classed as 'nature's tranquilliser', so it is an essential inclusion in the diet of anyone suffering from irregular periods. In fact, anyone in today's hectic society will benefit from a magnesium supplement. Stress is often a factor in period irregularity, and this mineral will help to redress the balance of a stressful lifestyle.

Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs)
Linseeds, which are an excellent form of both Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, have been proven to encourage regularity of the cycle among other things. Even if hormonal imbalance is not at the root of your condition, it is worth adding these fatty acids to your diet. There are many factors that are now known to affect the way fatty acids are used by our bodies, including high adrenaline levels (in the case of stress), high alcohol consumption, and high levels of cholesterol. If your body is NOT getting or using enough of the fatty acids consumed, your cycle can be affected. You can't lose by adding these supplements to your diet.

I just wanted to say thanks for your response. I will be looking into getting that test done. So from your perspective this can be caused by defiency with vitamins and minerals?

Thanks a lot for sharing this article. Even my story is similar to yours. I have irregular periods since the beginning, at times they are 2 months delayed and otherwise there’s no period at all for 4months and more %-) Besides this there was no problem with my health. I got this checked with Thyroid tests and whatever being asked by my Doc. but nothing came up, everything was so normal. Now, I am 33 yrs old and married, perfectly normal, had one miscarriage naturally. Planning to go for my first baby, but I do feel afraid at times that if I could not get pregnant then? ?

For me it isn't healthy.YOu needs a proper investigation and explanation.:idea:

Giving a Pill then getting a bleed afterwards proves nothing. Ask for a referral to a gynaecologist in the first instance though it may well be a hormonal problem, which will need the help of an endocrinologist.

Don't take no for an answer. I'm sure this is nothing life-threatening or health-threatening, but it will have significant impacts on your fertility - best to get it diagnosed and resolved now rather than wait till you wants to try for a child.

**edited by moderator** **web addresses are not allowed**

hi im 15 and i get irregular periods too.. i get one from 2-6 months and i was just wondering does this also make you gain weight....... lately i have been gaining a a little weight but i really dont eat alot of junk food.. and i really have no idea what to do... soo i was just wondering does having irregular periods affect your weight too?

I haven't had my period for 6 months now too and every time I go to the doctor they ALWAYS RECOMMEND BIRTH CONTROL PILLS which I know a lot of us women do not want to take to regulate our period. I believe that many of us share the same problem when it comes to irregular period. Some say that it means there is something wrong with your reproduction system too

Anyone who is experiencing irregular periods should be tested for PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome). It is a very common condition affecting 4% to 18% of women. It’s a condition in which there is an imbalance of a woman's female sex hormones. This hormone imbalance may cause reduced frequency of ovulation and irregular menstrual cycles, reduced fertility, polycystic ovaries on ultrasound, and high male hormones such as testosterone which can cause excess facial or body hair growth and acne, but not always. Some woman’s only symptom is an irregular menstrual cycle. PCOS is also associated with metabolic features and diabetes and cardiovascular disease risk factors including high levels of insulin or insulin resistance and abnormal cholesterol levels. PCOS affects quality of life and can worsen anxiety and depression either due to the features of PCOS or due to the diagnosis of a chronic disease. A healthy lifestyle consists of a healthy diet, regular exercise and achieving and maintaining a healthy weight.

Melissa_20 wrote:

3_geez wrote:

Multivitamin and Mineral

B Vitamins

Antioxidants

Magnesium

Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs)

I'm 34 yrs old, my tubes have been tied for 13 yrs., my right ovary have been removed for 13yrs also. My periods have been regular after that but I missed my perios in March. It came on April 16, 2012 and have been on everday since then. I went to the dr and have blood test (hormones,thyroid) and it was fine, ultrasound (pelvic and regular). They said I have fibroids and a small cyst on my left ovary. They started my with depo and this isn't working. As of yesterday I started bleeding really, really bad and today it's like alot of cramps and pain, it like pieces of meat is coming out of me. I go back for my second depo on this month on the 22, but I think it's not going to work like the other. IDK what to do im going to a charity hospital and they are moving slow and if I go to the ER they can't do nuthing for my. I don't have any insurance, I feel weak and tired all the time. I hope I don't bleed to death by the time the dr sees me again.