I'm hoping to find someone who had nuclear heart stress test done, because the more I read online the scarier it sounds. I’m scared even more so because I already had one heart attack and the stent surgery afterward. From what my cardiologist said, I’m expected to run on the treadmill each day for two days and they’ll inject me with chemicals necessary to take the images of my heart after this stress test. The problem is, and my cardiologist already knows this, I’m hardly in any shape to run on the treadmill when even a short flight of stairs makes me breathe faster. I’ve read stories of people getting the heart attack during or shortly after the test, having horrible bouts of vomiting… All I get from my doctor is that I’ll be monitored and that there are some chances of nuclear stress test causing problems – but how big are those chances?

I completely understand your fears. You could try talking to your doctor about your fear of running on the treadmill, but I will tell you that it's actually easier on your heart if you take the test on the treadmill rather than resting in a bed where the nurse will inject you with medications that will raise your heart rate artifically. The reasoning is this.... it's harder to back the drugs off than it is your pace on the treadmill. If you jump off the treadmill the test is done, but if they have to back down the drugs, they take longer to leave your system or be neutralized. 

The risk for a heart attack is absolutely there, BUT the good news is that you will have wires all over you, they will be able to see irregular heartbeats because a full blown attacks occurs. And remember, you are not the first, nor the last, person that will step onto a treadmill and be out of shape and think they cannot do it!

I'm 65 yrs old & just had my nuclear stress test, the 2nd in about 7 years ( My heart attack was about 8 yrs ago). While I was walking (fast) on the treadmill, my cardiologist w his nurse/asst. was right there, periodically taking my blood pressure & monitoring the EKG strip the machine was spitting out. I lasted 6 minutes, 15 sec & then announced that I was feeling pressure in the mid chest & couldn't go on (out of breath too). He immediately stopped the machine. According to the test report, I achieved 89% of the max. predicted heart rate. Bottom line, I believe you're overreacting to unfounded fear. This test has been around for decades & it's designed to test people (like us) w histories of/existing heart problems. It's a very widely accepted test who's results will gives your MD needed info to assess & treat your condition. My test was no big deal.

I Had Stress Test 10yrs Ago and I Was Fine But Now After Being Sick With Bronchitis The Xray Showed Something Noe The DR Wants Me To Have This Nuclear Tredmill Test But I've Been Bouched From Surgery Before and I'm Scared That Something Might Go Wrong Again I Had CT Scan With Dye And What The diologist Thought He Saw Was Gone? I've Been Having Lumbago With Siatica Pain In My Leg So I'm Worried?

Hi I'm 47 getting a stress test in the morning I have a bad foot so I can't walk on the treadmill and I'm scared to death to have them get my heart to beat fast threw an I've I can't sleep from worring

I have AFib., 78 years old, with type 2 diabetes. Have nuclear stress test scheduled in 10 days, Heard and read this can cause heart attack or death, Scared.