hi im a 19 yr old male. for sometime now ive had chest pains and numbness in my left arm. ive also previously been through quiet abit of stress on more of a personal note for the past year before hand. as a result of this ive been very deprived of sleep. i was prescribed propranolol as i was diagnosed with "anxiety" i took this under the wing and got on with it. i stopped taking the tablets about 2 months after when i was feeling less stressed and things where calming down. i also had sleep deprival at the time and was told these tablets can cause sleeplessness so this also made me stop taking the tablets. not sleeping very well has been hard over the past year, year and a half and ive been working doing long shifts every day. i now think that this may have took its toll on my heart. i keep on having heart "flutters" - not "palpatations" and i get them every day atleast 50 times a day. im always exhausted and fatigued and my left arm, hand, left lower leg and foot keep going numb. i also sometimes get dizzy and faint. to make it worse i find it hard to sleep even more as the flutters come more often and frequent when im laying down. i know im young but due to my lifestyle i wonder if this has caused any serious harm to my health or whether it is just anxiety as the doctor said last year due to my stress. if you could get back to me asap it would be absolutly great!!! thanks, ed

I have to tell you I have suffered from your exact same symptoms since I was 19...I am 32. I am now finally seeing the right person for it...a neurologist. Please go see a neurologist and be evaluated. It's not always "anxiety", I think that's a fast and sexy terms used as a band aid for things people can't explain. I'm pretty sure that if you're losing consciousness you need more evaluation. At least that's what I think anyway. I AM NOT A MD ...just a person who has suffered along with you. GOOD LUCK.

i am a 33yrs old female i have been experincing heart flutters for some months now accompany with arm numbness and headaches i am always tired i have some stress in my life but my symptoms seem to be getting worse by the day i am very concern about this can you give me some help?

For the last 5 months, my family doctor has been telling me I just have anxiety and kept prescribing Xanax. Well, 2 weeks ago I had tests and saw a cardiologist on Tuesday. He said I have Coronary Artery Disease and have to have an angioplasty as soon as possible. I'm scheduled for Oct. 29th, and I'm scared. I'm only 35! This shouldn't be happening already, right?
Anxiety only causes numbness if you're hyperventilating. So please, get it checked out.
Good luck & good health!

Kristina

thanks for your replays guys! i had a 24 hour monitor on! and im going to see what it says on monday! i only had one flutter in this time as i had alot of sleep and felt ok with it on, would this device indicate a problem? because since then.. ive had chest pains and back pains, flutters, arm pains and tingles, im ok in the morning but then it kicks in and usually when im not doing anything they come, i kept badgering my gp last year but i gave up and accepted this "anxiety" c**p which i dont feel i have anymore. what tests did your gp do to find out you had something wrong? im only 20 so i should be ok right? i hope you get sorted with your doctors, it is a hard one to tackel as its not visable like a cut or a bruise but oh well let me know guys!!

I had a Holter monitor on for 48 hours back in August, and had symptoms with it on, but it didn't show any problems. My cardiologist says that those monitors only check for heart abnormalities or defects, and my problem is the arteries around my heart, so the problem didn't show up. I also had an EKG, an echo, and a cardiac ultrasound. None of these tests showed anything either, because they still only check the heart itself. We finally found out what it was because of a stress test. And I guess it doesn't matter what your age is, because my cardiologist said he just did an angioplasty on a 16yo last month. Please try to see someone more specialized than your GP, they're only trained to look for simple solutions.
Good luck & good health!

Kristina

yours sounded to be quiet a long deal then! but im glad youve been checked thoroughly! im going back tommorrow to see what the 24hr tape says, if its normal im going to have to demand to see a chardiologist then really? if they dont refere me im going to have to save my weeks wages and book in with a private doctor and get to the bottem of it properly. i hope you get sorted! and let me know how it went! i just feel like im going round in circles and the sympons im getting are more commen even now im resting i have constant dull discomfort in my left side chest and the occasional tingle down my left arm, i just feel like the doctors are ignoring me and im sat here sitting out this problem on my own!!!! anyway! thanks for your replay ill let you know how it went! cheers! ed

What happened with your test? What did they say about the numbness? I go in for my pre-op tests tomorrow. Please post and let us know how you're doing.

Kristina

i went back to the doctors and at the mo im experiencing chest discomfort every day and a deep cramp every so often deep in the left of my chest. they said my heart beat sounded ok but i asked for a referal to a cardioligst like alot of people have told me and managed to persuade her to refere me!! everyday i wake up and go to bed with this discomfort and today iv had more cramp like feelings i gotta wait 4 weeks to see the specialist though and i gotta work alot of hours from now and until then! hope ill be ok! ...did you get the same physical effects as im getting with yours? how long did it take to get refered? cheers ed

I have chest pains on one side of my heart if I'm active, and another side of my heart if I'm inactive. The inactive ones actually hurt more. It took 3 months of a lot of problems, and referrals to a neurologist and a psychiatrist before my doctor would agree to let me see a cardiologist. Now it's been 6 months since my symptoms started, and my cardiologist is surprised I haven't had at least one heart attack during all this time. Maybe I have, people can have silent ones, or mild ones, who knows. I guess I'll find out if I have had any when he does my angiolplasty tomorrow and checks for damage. I'm glad you have a doctor who will listen to you and refer you. You're on the right path back to good health. Good luck!

Kristina

gmlady....how did u make out with the angioplasty?
i have very similar symptoms as well and just got released from the hospital after being observed for a while. All the tests were negative. A few ekg's, chest xray, cardiac enzyme blood tests (3x) and they even did bloodwork that checked for blot clots. i have to go for a stress test this week. you say it was the stress test that tipped the docs off that you had heart disease? is that true? and did u have the basic treadmill stress test or a nuclear one?

hope you are doing well!!

i should be booked in to see the specialist in december! i hate my symptons i woke up from a bad dream an my heart beats where hurting me i hate it. i dont know what to say when i see the specialist? and how long does it take for them to organise tests? let us know how the angioplasty went! shall i request a stress test? hope your both getting somewhere!

My angioplasty went well, artery 80% blocked, others clear, thank God. The cardiologist didn't have to do a stent, only ballooning, I guess because I'm still fairly young and my arteries haven't stiffened. Yes, it took a stress test to find it. My chest pain was so bad though that he ordered a pharmacological one. That's where they give you IV meds to make your heart race while the rest of your body rests. Nuclear is when you have imaging done before and after the stress test right? That's what i had.
Depending on how urgent your specialist feels your symptoms are, he may get you in for tests as early as the next day (hospitals will usually "bump" less urgent cases to later that day).
So, now I have to walk 3 miles a day, every day. Take baby aspirin every day for the rest of my life. I don't have to change my diet though. I already eat mostly veggies and replaced all of my red meat with turkey substitutes years ago. Plus, Salt Sense instead of regular table salt. My cardiologist says if I don't have a recurrence within the first year then I may never have one. I'm on a countdown now.
I'm also still having chest pains, not as bad, and now I have to have a consult for a possible hiatal hernia, but that's a different forum...

Kristina

hey there im glad your ok! and your doctor has got you back on the road to recovery!! :-D thanks for the info im bearing it in mind! i hope i can get in with the specialist asap. its provisionarly booked for december the 9th i think! but im yet to receive a letter confirming it! im getting quiet worked up about my chest pain. i get it more when im working and i even have it right now as im typing. it hurts!! maybe i should just ring for an ambulance and get them to check me out properly? i dont know whether to take asprin or not? iv been taking paracetemol (painkiller) today to try and ease the pain. i just dont know what to do i could do with some guidence and some time off work!!!

I wouldn't start taking aspirin until you know what it is for sure. It thins the blood quite a bit and if you nick an artery or get an ulcer or anything internal, you'd bleed to death before you could get help. I don't want to get too personal, but what is your height/ weight? I was just watching the news yesterday and they tested 12- to 14-year-olds with arteries so bad that the doctors say they are 45 years old internally. And apparently that's what's happening to a third of all Americans- early artery aging. I'm glad you're having this checked out. I don't know about you, but when my chest pains got worse, I started yawning alot. My cardiologist said it was because my brain was trying to increase the oxygen my heart wasn't getting from that blocked artery. So then my hands would burn from being hyperventilated. The only way I was able to manage it was to not allow myself to forcefully blow out after my yawn. It was HARD! Deep breath, hold it, let it out slowly. But it worked. It also helped my chest pain, maybe because I was holding in the oxygen, I don't know. Maybe it would work for you? I hope this helps. Good luck!

Kristina