I ‘m 33 years old female and I became very frustrated with these palpitations. I have had them for years and now they have become worse. I feel like my heart flutters and skips for a few seconds. I’ve seen cardiologist, did EKG, wear holter which showed occasional PVC's and PAC's. My therapy is changed since, but I am not satisfied still. I began to have panic attacks because of this.

Hi, I am a 29 year old male, smoke 6 cigarettes a day, run 3-4 times a week, 5 miles. I have had palpitations for about 2 yrs. I’ve gone to see cardiologist about that, had holter monitor and got the same answer as you infrequent occasional PVC's and PAC's. I started therapy with Paxil CR. I am trying to quit smoking. They make me are driving me crazy too.

It is possible that panic is what caused this due to stress, and not the other way around. As you stated you started to have panic attacks because of all of this. Your core issue may be the panic attacks and those first fwe episodes were just precursors for what was to come. Stress.

My first PVC occured when I was 25, after childbirth. They continued thru my 30's, it helped when I stopped all caffeine. In my 40's became severe, I went to ER each time, was treated with IV Inderal. Took hours to get pulse normal. At age 59 I had cardiac ablation done. Went 4 yrs with no Er visit, just occasional mild pvc. Two weeks ago a major incident of SVT, heart rate 240. Was treated with adenosine which is accepted newer med. for quickly bringing heart rate under control. These episodes are scary, chest tightness, dizzyness, nausea and med itself is scary but necessary. I have appt. with my cardiologist for 10/15. She is a specialist in cardiac electrical problems. I suspect she is going to suggest another ablation. If she convinces me of its safety vs. just enduring these episodes, I'll probably have it redone. It really was a relief to have the 4 years without a true episode. I wish you luck with your problems.

hi,
i have been suffering from palpitations that mostly occur at night either as i try to fall asleep or when i wake at night. they can last for hours and often occur with chest discomfort and a general ill feeling. i get tingling in both arms which sometimes occurs alone or with the above symptoms.
i am aware that i am under a lot of stress with an upcoming move back to the states and this will take about 5 steps or moves to get to my "home".
i have had a EKG and will be tested ed with a 24hour monitor next week. all other blood tests have come back fine with the exception of the bad cholesterol at 1.43.
my question is if this is stress has anyone had these symptoms last for hours and sometimes all night long???
i have been given Bromazespam which i take a 1/4 tablet to relax me and help me to sleep and calm down. he also prescribed an herbal supplement to take 3x a day to help ease any anxiousness i have.

I've suffered from anxiety attacks since i was 19 and i'm 25 now. at first they were mild, but they really peaked around my 21st birthday. I would have several extremely severe attacks a day. Pulse would stay around 120 to 150. Heart felt like it was fluttering several times an hour. sometimes more often then that. I went to the doctor everytime. I've had at least a dozen EKG test. And so far the results are all the same. I am as healthy as the next person. It doesn't make it any less scarier though. But I have learned that the less stressed I am the less often I have them. I have devoloped a fear of anxiety attacks. Which means at the slightest NORMAL raise of my heart beat or a little flutter from to much excercise or stress, Will instantly kick me into being scared sh*tless, heart racing and pounding, can't think straight, and overheating, thinking I'm having a heart attack or will cause I can't seem to calm down. I have found having a safety net helps alot. My safety net is carrying around aspirin, Zantax, and my cell phone. Plus I don't go ANYWHERE, EVER alone. It sucks, cause I will instantly freak out the moment someone talks about running to the store and leaving me by myself, cause somewhere in the back of my mind that fear kicks in and I am just positive that in that moment that i am alone, will be the one time i have an anxiety attack and i won't be able to calm down. Odds are, I'm wrong. But FEAR doesn't work that way. So i haven't been alone for about 1 1/2 years now. My family and friends hate it, but they have grown to understand, and are glad of the progress i've made, cause i use to sit at the hospital over 6 hours a day, and now i get scared, i talk to them, and I'm fine. They distract me with meaningless conversation when I start to get scared, and usually, I get into the conversation and forget that I was scared and the attack goes away. the same way we distract little kids when there is a really bad storm outside. Do whatever it takes to keep there mind off the fears. Of course bedtime is always the worst, because when you go to sleep, you can't distract your mind. and if you try to stay up until you are to tired to think, then you are worse off then when you started, cause if you do have an attack, then you are too tired to think clearly enough to easily talk yourself down, so it gets worse until you are TOO exhausted to be scared anymore. Then you feel that sick yucky weak feeling you get when your body is exhausted with the flu. I deal because i learn what to avoid and always have a safety net. I even have a back up safety net, (a friend) incase my Boyfriend ever leaves me. But back to the fluttering, I get them almost every night. Occassionally during the day, but mostly just at night, When I am tired and laying in bed, I start to dose off and it tightens and flutters and wakes me all the way up and I sometimes feel like i'm fighting to breathe and keep it beating, I calm down and try it again, and It just keeps happening, but I noticed if i just try to ignore it and concentrate on a nice conversation or a memory from a book or movie, then I eventually drift off to sleep and when I wake up, I may feel headachy or occasionally edgy if i've had a really rough night, but my body has had time to rest and recover, and I know I'll be okay. Hope this helps anyone who might need to not feel so alone. It's hard for people who haven't had anxiety attacks to understand or relate to someone that has. If you ever need someone to talk to about this, feel free to contact me Hope you have success with your anxiety attacks. Still working on mine.

That sounds like a really hard situation to be in. First you have palpitations, and those trigger panic attacks! I think that the best you can do is work on the palpitations first, or at least your mental reaction to them. Has the doctor explained to you the normality or abnormality of it? As is my understanding, if you have them, there is not much treatment for it. Have you looked into therapy or anything? I think that might help you a great deal. Just throwing a few ideas out there for you! I wish you the best, so please tell us about your recovery.

I know where you guys are coming from... I had such severe panic attacks when I was in my early twenties (I'm now twenty seven) and it was a night mare. I would be in such a state of panic that I would shake uncontrollably. I would feel nauseated, and dizzy... cold and warm- and crazy. Last summer I started getting these horrible giant irregular heartbeats, where it felt like everything in my body was stopping, and like someone was going to need to get the electric paddles and jump start me. On top of all of that I have a condition called Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PS. if you are female and have panic, irregular cycles- or regular, etc. be looked at for it- it is a metabolism disorder that effects your body and mind). My cardiac doc. told me I had PVC, PAC, and Tachycardia, and I felt he didnt address the situation good enough... he needed to fix it or do something to make it better!! Now I dont understand heart palps very well, but I know there are triggers... and over the last year I have learned to relax and let things go... I havent had a major panic attack with the shaking in about a year! Praise God! Now today I did get a very big palp... but it was after a major battle with my mother in law, and RIGHT after it! There was a trigger... I got angry and frustrated... so in order to avoid palp, I must keep my cool... that is not such a bad thing.

This is what I suggest to help relieve palps if you have had them looked at by a doc. and he said you are fine... even if you dont feel fine...

1) Learn to let go... Yes, easier said then done, but easier done each time you try! If you clench your hands or jaws, back, shoulders, etc. learn to relax- visualize your hands loosening up and your back/shoulders melting into a calmness. Life is easier lived when you can keep your calm. If visualization doesnt work for you in stressful situations, count... 1234... etc. or count with your eyes closed. You can close your eyes and imagine yourself somewhere peaceful, or you can find a fav. cd and listen to it when you are stressed. The best thing of all... pray, say thank you for what you have in your life, and for being healthy and alive and tell yourself it will pass, because it will.

2) Have the doc. check your calcium level and vitamin d level in your body. I found out I have vit. d deficiency a majorly common thing for people, and it can cause stress and depression. My mother researched and so did I and found articles on calcium/magnesium and how it helps regulate your heart. I started taking a good calcium/mag blend and it greatly helped my palp- cut them down eighty percent, but a doctor would probably never tell you this. Research Magnesium and irregular heartbeats... very close link to each other, they even have an immediate fizzy drink thing you can take that is supposed to alleviate palps- I forget who makes it though. If you take supplements and gently exercise (try yoga) it will make you feel like you are doing good for your body, that you are taking care of yourself. Try not to see your body as a problem, as foreign object that is dysfunctional- but see it as something miraculous... something amazingly designed, research amazing facts of the body... like did you know- the thigh bone (femur) is stronger than concrete!, or that the human eye can distinguish 500 shades of gray?! how about every square inch of the human body has around 19 million skin cells. The body is an amazing thing... it constantly works to heal itself- see it as it truly is, and dont tell yourself there is something wrong all the time... tell yourself there is something right all the time instead!

3) Get help for anxiety, if you believe in God... tell Him how you are feeling, leave your cares with Him- like the Bible says to do! He is the Divine healer, He knows every hair on your head, you think He doesnt know when you are having a palpitation? Maybe He is allowing it so He can show you something, for me it was triggers... like stress, chocolate, not taking calc/mag, etc. Now when I get a palp I accept it and try to relax through it, and tell myself what is causing this? I take a step back from myself- from an observers point of you and say, what happened that did this. It doesnt help if I think things through from my point of view- I'd panic then, but if I think things through how God would see them, or my husband or family, they would say- well what did you do that caused it? I'd want to say nothing, it just happened! But if I sat down and thought about it in all honesty I would see something triggered it.

Get a book on anxiety, make it a Christian based one, whether or not you believe in God... because they are kinder than other books, they are gentle and they dont tell you that you are crazy because of your past, etc. or because you have some mental condition- you dont have a mental condition, you have anxiety... so does ninety percent of the population... over half of them are on drugs for it... I am not on anti anxiety meds. but I do have a prescription for one and I carry it in my purse, it is a safety net- like said earlier... it lets me know that if worse comes to worse I have it there. I also have Bachs remedy drops for anxiety, they work well- but take them only when you need them... they do have alcohol in them.

Last... Because you have fear, anxiety, palps, doesnt mean you are not normal... you are probably healthier than most people around you- you just dont see it that way yet. Let yourself make mistakes, dont beat yourself up about having panic, ride through the emotions- and tell yourself it will be gone soon enough... and it will! Distract yourself with things, and then once you are distracted realize it wasnt that big of a deal- and you made it through just fine on your own! Congratulate yourself, and praise yourself! People with anxiety beat themselves up, when they should be praising themselves... you are uniquely made- you are a sensitive person, you are more aware of things than most people, you are also more in tune with your body and your surroundings, these are all good things, remember to let yourself know it is ok to be stressed- but it will pass, and that you are unique... you are unlike anyone else... you are truly you!! Be glad about it, there are many worse things in this life than what we imagine are so bad- that is why we are meant to think on good things. Each time you catch yourself being negative... make yourself say 3 positive things instead.

A quick perspective story that changed my life... I was reading in a book, that I think was called "overcoming fear, worry, and anxiety: becoming a women of God" The story is for everyone whether you are male/female, believe in God or dont... it went something like this... The author talked about how she feared everything, and one day someone talked her into going skiing even though she didnt want to and was afraid too. The whole time she is scared to death to go down the hill thinking I'm going to crash into a tree and die or hurt myself, and she was just miserable... hating every moment- and nervous every second. As she was standing there she was watching a large lady going down the hill exhilarated with a huge smile on her face and laughing out loud... having the time of her life. Finally the author who was panicky and miserable went up to the lady having so much fun and said what is the difference, why are you enjoying this so much and I'm not having fun and stressed out. That lady looked at her and said, it is because you are seeing your nervousness as fear, but I'm seeing my nervousness as excitement... it is all about how you interpret what you are feeling...

So this story means, from now on when you face a situation, dont interpret your nervousness or fear as, oh no- oh no- oh no... what am I going to do!?!? What if I panic... Tell yourself instead, I feal nervous and anxious about this situation, but it is just because I'm excited about it... even if it isnt true, tell yourself I'm excited about it, and that is a good thing... eventually it will become the truth- and you will learn to take life by the horns, and face your fears... why hold back, there is so much you miss out on in life by letting your fear rule, you need to instead- rule your fear.

God bless, and it will work out, each new day is a gift, each new breath is a treasure, and each hug is comfort... so get as many as you can! Be positive and kind to yourself, you are perfect because you are imperfect!! You are unique, and you will overcome!

Hello, I am female 32; I started having PVC's about 6 months to a year ago. I finally went to the doctor because they were getting out of control (all night and sometimes all day, discomfort as well.) They also did EKG, holter monitor and found I was having them quite often; other than that I was in perfectly good health. The doctor put me on a beta blocker (Toprol) - and ever since I feel great. I take the medicine at night, and other than a bit of sleepiness now and then, I have no problems anymore.

‘m 33 years old female and I became very frustrated with these palpitations. I have had them for years and now they have become worse. I feel like my heart flutters and skips for a few seconds. I’ve seen cardiologist, did EKG, wear holter which showed occasional PVC's and PAC's. My therapy is changed since, but I am not satisfied still. I began to have panic attacks because of this.

What a wonderful person you are..been suffering from flutters in chest and even face area went to cardiologist and everything was normal, anxiety is the reason Ive been told. I wont take meds., my meds are reading letters especially yours that truly feel the compassion you give...thanks a lot...

I'm soooo glad I found this site!!!! I"ve been stressing out over these stupid palpitation all day.  I get them very infrequently, but when I do, they scare the c**p out of me.  I've never had any health problems, been an athletic person most of my life. Been told I've got a great strong heart, recently stoped smoking and am back in school (my first go around was an MBA) I'm trying to get into PA school now. If not its nursing school and a BSN.  But since I've started going to school again, (I"m 43) Now i've got Med school syndrome. (you think you have every know disease) I'm just glad I'm not the only one that goes through this nonsense. I had my very first full blown panic attack last year, and now am worried about having another. LOL it's a vicious circle I know. But it's just great that I found this site. Sorry for my rambling. 

For everyone out there, does anyone get nauseous after a flutter. It only last a second or two, but almost every time I get a flutter I feel like I could puke. Sometimes my PVC's don't perfuse but most of the time they do. When they don't perfuse I feel like all the blood drains from my face and a second or two later I feel normal. The nausea is really getting old. Any tips out there? or at least any similarities out there for anyone else? 

Are you still active on this thread? I so relate to your post. Would love to talk or email you!

That was to the guest on 6/20/09