Hi everyone,

I'm kind of worried about my uncle. You know, when you care a lot about somebody, even if they just need to give some blood for examination, you can get scared about what might happen and how will this person react to it.

My uncle is supposed to have this thing done, this test, called a Thallium stress test. He knows how I worry about him so he didn't tell me about it, it slipped from my mum during the dinner and I'm here to ask you if anyone knows about the risks that this Thallium stress carries with it.

Hey Guest,

Most people tolerate the test very well. Your uncle may feel a sting as the medication that simulates exercise is injected, followed by a warm feeling. Some people may experience headache, nausea, and a racing heart.

The nuclear material will leave his body through his urine. Complications from the nuclear material injected into his body are very rare.

Rare complications from the test may include arrhythmias (irregular heart beat), increased angina (pain from poor blood flow in the heart), difficulty breathing, asthma-like symptoms, large swings in blood pressure, skin rashes, shortness of breath, chest discomfort, dizziness, heart palpitations (an irregular heart beat).

Hi Guest,

I wouldn't worry about this one, I mean, I know that it won't help you, that you will still worry, but at least we can ease that worry a bit for you. At least this test lasts very shortly so you won't have to be worried for long.

It carries minimal risks with itself. About 95% of people don't have any complications, and I'm positive that your uncle is going to be one of these people. You need to stay positive, that's how life works the best. If you think positive, the outcome is going to be positive, you can trust me on this one.

I just did it last week and I'm still here.

Good day there. It is safe. This is actually a stress test that is a nuclear imaging study that shows how well your blood flows to the heart muscle. It is usually combined with an exercise test on a treadmill or stationary bicycle, it is a same. This test is an amazing thing because it can help doctors determine what is the cause of the chest pain. Also, this test can help doctors to determine what is the level of exercises that you can perform safely. Also, it is going to show the extent of any coronary artery damage for a heart attack. Don't be afraid, because I think that nothing can go wrong. Good luck. 

Hey. I need to do this test as well. I think that my doctor told me that I am going to do it after August 15th. I am also kind a bit scared because I don't know do they use some radiation or something similar that can harm me eventually. Tell me more about this test, tell me more how do you feel after this? Did you have any side effects or not? I am sorry for asking you so many questions, but I think that you understand my concern :) Thank you and stay positive! Good luck in your recovery process!

Generally, no. But you need to be prepared to have some side - effects after this test. They are not so usual, they are not that common but they can happen. It all depends. You probably do know that thallium stress test is a nuclear imaging method that shows how well blood flows into the heart muscle, both at rest and during activity. And I believe that you should not be concerned about some other issues that can happen - because I think that doctors do know what they are doing. My friend had this stress test done and she had a headaches for a couple of days. Nothing that dangerous that you can't manage, right?

Hi La Yi La. I had three tests over a two day period which all seemed to be connected.

They hooked me up with all the electrodes and did an EKG then they inserted a line in my arm. The nurse standing over me was an old friend from cardiac rehab of 20 years ago so it made things more comfortable. The technician came in to operate the computer and the test began. At some point the nurse injected whatever it was in the line in my arm. She told me it would make me short of breath as if I had been running and as it kicked in I did get short of breath. It wasn't as bad as others have described it. I didn't feel like I was unable to breath, just breathing heavy like when you exert yourself. The actual test was probably about 10 minutes with the hard breathing lasting about a minute. I don't know about any radiation involved, I didn't see anything in the room with any radiation symbols on it.

When that was over they gave me some peanut butter crackers and a water and had me sit for about 30 minutes. Then it was off to another room where there was a camera scanner. I was on a table where the camera rotated around over my chest for about 20 minutes. The whole thing took just over 2 hours.

The following morning I had to go back and they injected something that I guess was a dye of some sort. He had a syringe that had a strange looking divided chamber in it with a thumb screw on the side. He got it in then pulled back a little on the plunger. I think that was to confirm he got into blood, then shoved stuff in then pulled back on the plunger again then took it out. If getting needles stuck into you bothers you, you probably don't want to watch that part. Then I had to wait for an hour with more PB crackers. Then another camera session and I was out of there.

They never told me what they called that test but it seems to match the description of the thallium test. The camera tests were probably separate tests from the thallium test so you may not be doing those.

I have to say the thallium test was not as scary as some people made me think, it was not bad at all.