Few weeks ago, my husband started to complain about he has pounding heart. He keeps telling me that he feels it as serious pounding, as it is thumping against his chest. He told me he feels and lots of sharp twinges same area. I was thinking it could be serious so I went to the doctor with him. He performed ECG, but all seems fine, so I would like to hear if anyone experienced anything like this.

I can tell you that sometimes a person who is under stress can be more aware of a pounding heart. Lack of sleep goes hand in hand with this as product of extra stress in one’s life. A pounding heart is part of the fight of flight scenario, which was built into us since the earliest of humans. You may perceive this thinking as someone is a cave man, so when dangerous animal runs at him, he would feel stressed. That means he fights or flights switches would tell him to run. Nowadays we are still programmed with the same instinct but do not have to use our fight and flight in the same way. Therefore, when we are stressed we tend to try to sit through it since we see no immediate danger. I might suggest you to help your husband get rid of aggression, play some game. I can tell you this because my heart would pound so hard at night before. I became afraid to go out in public because I was afraid I might have an attack. Then I visited doctor and he gave me some pills, I feel much better, what I could recommend to your husband too.

A few days ago I had much the same happen to me as well. I ended up in the hospital as I thought this is it...the big one...HEART ATTACK..! It turns out that I am just fine they did a 12 lead EKG and other stuff as well and it seem that my anxity attacks had just stepped up to higher level. I have had 3 more heart attack feeling attacks since...but I do not feel stressed...well not that much at least. I am now on some pills to calm me down and for the first time in I can not remember how long. I have slept for more then just 6 hours. Since I was put on some chill pills I have not had one of those heart attack feelings.

Hi my name is Denise. Im 21 weeks pregnant and was scared to death earlier when my heart started racing till the point my chest started shaking alittle and i was freaked out. I felt like i was getting tired real fast and kinda like i was gonna pass out. It lasted id say about 15 minates or so and then it stopped but i was still very weak after it stopped. My mom said she had it happen to her too but not while she was pregnant so i dont know if its something some people get once in awhile or if it means something bad. Im scared so if anyone one knows what it could be? I was just at the doctors yesterday and everything seems to be going good in my pregnancy and he seems to be a very healthy baby boy. I am a non-smoker as well as drugs. Im just scared and wanna make sure its nothing to serious. If anyone has the answer??? ..plzzz let me know. Im very worried. thanks. Denise

hi I had heart palpations that started during my pregnancy 13 yrs ago and im still doing great lol, I still have them on a regular basis and my docter tells me to manage my stress better dont drink caffiene, or eat alot of chocolate or sugar. Yoga helps me alot and if i dont have time for that i just do slow deep breathing and u will be amazed how that helps. if ur heart starts racing real fast the best thing i do is hold my breath and bear down like im having a baby for about 10 second and after a few times it will slow right down its called a vegal response if that doesnt work take a ice pack and put it on your fore head until you get that ice headace and that also caused a vegal response. this is what the cardiologist said. he also said it is not dangerous but u should still talk to your dr about it to reassure yourself. best of luck with the new baby

Don't be too alarmed bud. Are you under stress? Anxious? Tense? This is called a panic attack and it can strike at any given minute. I had this about a year ago and I thought I was going to die. My arm tingled and felt like it was tightening. My body went numb and I fel to the ground. I thought I had a heart attack.. EKG came back normal and blood tests as well. The once on the beach I was enjoying myself and sure enough, my heart and vision started up again and I just got up , took a walk and totally took my mind off it. Next thing you know, it all stopped. Panic attacks suck and they can scare the hell out of you! I am not at all trying to diagnose you but everything you are saying sounds just like what I had. Unless you smoke too much, take too much nicotine patch, do cocaine or anything else that can speed up your heart rate, you sound like your just having panic attacks. Good luck bud!

When I was about 16 I started getting these same episodes. It usually started when I stood up or did something suddenly. Then my heart would pound up to 200 bpm and it scared me to death! My parents took me to the doctor and after several tests it was determined that I probably had just gotten some kind of virus that went to my heart. The doctor put me on some medicine and I was to avoid caffeine and any medicine that increased heart rates like decongestants. This went on until I was about 20 and the doctor took me off the medicine because the attacks had almost vanished. I am 31 now and have had only 1 attack in the last 3 years. I know exactly what to look for now and how to stop it (usually by laying down for a few minutes it will go away). The doctor said that this virus messes with your electrical impulses in the heart. All I know is that is scared me terribly, but it has been many years now and I am fine. Hope this helps!

I have the same issue. I feel like my chest is tight and like i can't get a deep breath. I am becoming increasingly tired. Sometimes I feel like certain symptoms i have are getting confused. For instance, I have terrible sinus pressure which can often make me feel tired and dizzy. I have to remind myself that this has nothing to do with my heart pounding. I have a really low healthy pule usually between 55-60 beats per minute. And i have low blood pressure. Yet sometime my heart feels like its THUDDING against my chest. I think my noticing it just makes it worse. As I focus on it- it gets louder and louder and hard and harder to breathe. I have had an EKG and an ultrasound on my heart. Both came up clear. I have had panic atticks before but this feels different. The only reason i think it might still be just stress and anxiety is i find myself tapping my foot or being unable to concentrate and just sit still. What does everyone think?

I have the same thing, heart pounds like its coming out of my chest. not fast , it just pounds. I had an EKG, it was fine. i dont smoke but lost my job and bills are piling up. I drink caffeine like mad and not much water. i switched to more water and it seems to help. I suppose it could be panic attaxcks, but it gets worse when i lay down. Im glad to read here it wont kill me. I thought I was done for...

Hi, for me it happened to be high blood pressure.. I have straggled with same symptoms since 2005. Now I have pills and they help in 30 min.(48 male)

Hi, my name is Melissa.driving in my car and my heart started pounding and I couldnt breathe. I pulled off to the side of the road and called 911 because I thought I just had a heart attack. I was positive that I was about to die. It is one of the scariest things anyone can ever go through. I got to the hospital and all of the tests came back normal. They are telling me it was a panic attack. I have always thought panic attacks was just heavy breathing. Now that I have read all of the signs and symptoms of a panic attack I am 99% sure that is what happened to me.

Guest wrote:  This blog is so comforting.  This post in particular.  I also believe i confuse symptoms.  I have carpel tunnel in my left wrist and this can cause tingling and heaviness.  This might start to freak me our and i have to remind myself its only a muscle issue.  I have TERRIBLE accid reflux and I'm told this can make your chest feel tight and heavy.  I feel like when my stress and anxiety starts to appear it goes through phases.  If I'm really stressed and it lasts for a long time it will start with muscle twitching, especially in my face, then I might have neausea and acid reflux for awhile, and then it will be heart pounding.  I've gone to hospital a number of times thinking I'm having a heart attack.  I've have multiple EKG's, Chest Xrays, a heart ultrasound and all NOTHING.  I even had a blood test to check for blood clots. That was clear as well.  I was told it was anxiety.  Xanex doesn't really help it just makes me sort of drowsy but I'm still very aware of my heart pounding.  I've found a vibrating back massager pressed against my chest really helps me fall asleep but then I'll wake up about 4AM heart POUNDING.  It takes forever to go back to sleep if I even do get back to sleep.  I can only hope this will pass in time.  I'm 26.  Low health blood pressure (110/68).  I'm a runner and do yoga on a regular basis.  I've tried everything.  Treatment for asthma...doesn't help.  I've already tried using herbs.  In fact St. John's Wart is used as a RX drug in the UK for anxiety.  I took that for awhile but didn't notice an overwhelming difference.  At the moment my only piece of mind is I've been looked at head to toe and I doubt i'd be able to run ten miles and not drop dead if I really did have a heart problem.  I'm going on vacation in a couple weeks and I'm looking forward to seeing if this issues go away.  Then i'll know once and for all that this is just stress.  Has anyone tried accupuncture?

Hi there, I'm 27 male and never had  to go to a doc in last almost 5-6 years. Tt all started 1 month ago. One day sitting with friend my heart started pounding so hard and my BP went up to 90/140 and pulse rate up to 160. I was scared to death and felt like counting my last moments. Went to Er. They gave me some pills and kept me there for 4 hours. They said I had a panic attack. Same thing happened 1 week after that. Was just sitting in the chair and playing some game after lunch. Again called 911 and they did the same. Took my EKG and chest X-ray and all came out fine. They advised me to go see some cardiologist. The Cardiologist took Stress test, blood test for thyroid, Ultrasound test and put me on a heart monitor for 2 days. They all came normal. However, Dr. did say that my heart rate some time goes very high. I think that was because of whatever was going with my body, cause I'm 100% sure that it never happened before. Anyhow, he has kept me on the medication. Which I think kind of helps me to calm down. I have lost 15 pounds in last one month. Every now I then I get this feeling that what is I really have some serious heart or some terminal diseases. I have consulted two cardiologists and two general doctors. They all end up telling me it's because of the stress. Although they are not 100% positive. I could see how stress can crawl up on you in no times. May be it's all in my mind. My advice for those is to don't forget to consult your doc and if they say everything is normal, just try to relax and enjoy. Try NOT spending alone time as much as posible. I find it helpful. 

I have been having these feelings in my chest also and it is very scary. I felt stupid in front of my wife and kids because the pounding heart was nearly briniging me to tears. I have had 24 hour blood pressure monitor, a heart stress test in the hospital and now chest xray only to find nothing other that occasional high blood pressure.  I still have the pounding but try to convince myself that it is all stress related and try to relax and breathe through it.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web
addresses not allowed*** 

found this article for the pregnant women. hope it helps.

it is generally speaking, but some info. I know these posts are old but maybe someone will read the article.

I have some serious pounding after doc gave my some high  blood pressure meds. so I am bringing this issue to him for my appointment this week. I too have had many little issues with my heart.

I have also had abnormal ekg's. this usually will show up if something about the heart nerves are involved. I hope I can resolve my issues as well one day. the body is so complex with all of the organs and nerves, bones, tissues ect.... wishing everyone healthy lives :)