Hi there,

I talked to a good friend of mine yesterday. We rarely get to see each other because our obligations won't let us, when I have time, she doesn't, and the other way around. Anyway, we talked yesterday and she told me that she is having some heart issues. Her doctor told her that she should do a stress heart test in order to determine what is wrong with her.

Does anyone happen to know anything regarding this matter? Who is recommended to do a stress heart test (also called a treadmill test)? Do you happen to know what could it possibly show?

Hey Bee,

A stress test is used to test for heart diseases. They are performed by a doctor or a trained technician in order to determine the amount of stress that your heart can handle before developing either an abnormal rhythm or evidence of ischemia. 

It is used for a few things, to determine if there is adequate blood flow to your heart during increased levels of activity, to evaluate the effectiveness of your heart medications to control angina and ischemia and to determine the likelihood of having coronary heart disease and the need for further evaluation. 

It has no dangers whatsoever.

Hi you two,

Actually, Bee, treadmill test is just one of several types of stress heart tests.

As long as you can walk and have a normal ECG, treadmill test is normally the first stress test performed. You walk on a treadmill while being monitored to see how far you walk and if you develop chest pain or changes in your ECG that suggest that your heart is not getting enough blood.

There are several other types of stress tests, like I said, and these include dobutamine or adenosine stress test, stress echocardiogram and nuclear heart test. Since she has been suggested to do a treadmill test, she is probably more or less fine.

Hello there,

Thank you for your replies, Adria and Health n joy, I appreciate your help.

I wasn't aware that the treadmill test was just one of the types of stress tests, my friend told me that it is just a different name for stress heart test.

So you are telling me that her condition probably isn't anywhere serious? That is a nice thing to hear. What about those other stress test types that you mentioned, Health n joy, can you tell me more about those? I'm usually very curious so now I want to know about these as well, if you don't mind telling me.

Hi there again,

Of course Bee, I'll give you some more info regarding this matter. 

Dobutamine or Adenosine stress test is used in people who are unable to exercise. A drug is given to make the heart respond as if the person were exercising. This way the doctor can still determine how the heart responds to stress, but no exercise is required.

Stress echocardiogram can accurately visualize the motion of the heart's walls and pumping actions when the heart is stressed, it may reveal a lack of blood flow that isn't always apparent on other stress tests.

Nuclear stress test is used to determine which parts of the heart are healthy and function normally and which are not.

Hi there. This stress test usually involves walking on a treadmill or riding a stationary bike. This all is happening while your heart rhythm, your blood pressure and breathing are carefully monitored. After this, your doctor can determine what problems you have. I think that your doctor may recommend this stress test if he or she suspects you have coronary artery disease or an irregular heart rhythm. The test may also be used to seek for your proper treatment if you've already been diagnosed with some heart condition. If you have any predispositions to have this test, if your doctor determines that you have some issues, I am sure that he will recommend you it.

Here is who is recommended to do this test.
• Patients who have symptoms or even the signs that are suggestive of coronary artery diseases.
• Patients who have extremely significant risk factors for CAD.
• Patients who have unexplained fatigue and shortness of breathe as well.
• Patients who have borderline hypertension.
• Patients serious irregular heart beats.
In those cases your doctor will recommend you stress heart test. You should know that they are generally safe, but some people can feel chest pain of collapse. Sometimes, you can faint as well. But patients who don’t have heart problems won’t do this test. That is some rule I guess.
Good luck there. I hope that everything will be ok.

Hey there everyone.

I remember that my aunt was the first person from my surrounding who did this test. Before her I never didn't know what this test is for. They suspected that she is having some heart issues and that she is having some problems with her heart, because she was losing her breath occasionally. No one was sure what is the cause of this condition, so she went to see her doctor. She asked her does she have any heart problems that she is familiar with. She didn't know and she told her that she don't have any of them. So they send her to do this test. 

Hello everyone.

I did this test and I can tell you that it is nothing that dangerous as you might think. A stress heart test is primarily used to help your doctor determine if you have any heart defection, if your doctor suspects that your heart is receiving enough oxygen and proper blood flow when it needs it most, such as when you are exercising. It can be also ordered for those people who have been experiencing hard chest pains or other symptoms of coronary heart disease. This test can help your doctor to determine what heart issues you have.

Good day there. It is known that the stress test that is also sometimes called a treadmill test or exercise test. This is a test that helps a doctor find out how well your heart handles work. As your body works harder during the test, it requires more oxygen. In this case it needs to pump more blood.. The test can show if the blood supply is reduced in the arteries that supply the heart. A people who are recommended to do this test are:
• The person who is hooked up to equipment to monitor the heart.
• The person who is having problems with breathing and heartbeats.
Also, if you don’t feel good during this test you can stop it.