Hi. I`m 68 years old and I`ve had an immediate dentures put in last week. I have no natural tooth in my mouth now. But I have overcome that feeling of loss and would like to hear from somebody with experience, what are disadvantages of an immediate denture? I know what are the advantages, but nobody tells you about the down side.

Hi. I`m 22 yo and also have no teeth (car accident). A year ago I had an immediate denture put in (now I can show up in public). What are the disadvantages of the immediate denture? Didn`t you notice the price of that thing? More, you can`t see how your denture will look before it is inserted and now I have some problems with mine. The problem with artificial teeth (or with immediate denture) is they don`t seem to fit somehow. Somebody told me that I should`ve tried conventional denture, but I couldn`t wait to chew.

I am a retired dental asst and have placed many immediate dentures and also the "conventional" kind. There is virtually no difference accept in WHEN they are placed. Immediate dentures are placed to save the patient the embarrassment of having no teeth after extractions. An immediate denture also helps to prevent bleeding and the tissue molds to the patients ridge better. Dentures always need adjustment. The dentist has a way of seeing where they are hitting improperly and can easily adjust this in minutes. It is a long process to get the final fit. The dentists that I have worked for always let these patients come in anytime for a quick adjustment without an appt. The adjustment takes a little longer with an immediate but you have the advantage of having "immediate" teeth! Don't give up and keep going back for adjustments until you like the way they fit. There should be no charge for the ongoing adjustments until over a year has gone by. Then only minimal and some don't ever charge. The outcome from both of these methods should be the same if done properly. You should go thru almost the same process of try-ins before both kinds. They just shave off the part where you have teeth so you can try it in. Then when you have the extractions..the lab fills that area in with teeth. Then the adjustment time begins. Hope this was helpful!!