Please help me. I have had dentures for almost two tears. Had them made three times. I went to a specialist the last time. Cost me over $3000.00 for top plate. It was still lose. Dr said I couldn't be fit tightly. No suction at all. After pasteing them in and gagging constantly I used a dremal tool and removed the pallet part of the plate. It did no good. Before you tell me I shouldn't have done that, remember, I am on my third pair and had no suction anyway. I have tried hypnosis everything. I can't afford to get implants now as I have spent over $10,000 in all. I can't leave the house. My life is ruined. I know that sounds dramatic. But it is. I am going to comitt suicide as I feel usleess. Please help me, somebody must know something.

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

I know this post, that I'm replying to, is over three years old. I hope things worked out for the poster. I understand how she felt, not able to leave the house. I recently (mid-March, 2010) spent (after saving for years for this) $5,000 to have all of my teeth removed (I believe there were still twenty-one of them) and to get dentures. I was shocked to find out that not only did I have all the common problems people have right after having this done (dentures hurting in several places, slipping around constantly, unable to speak...as if I had a mouth full of rocks, constant drooling from saliva, and so on), but the dentures were actually much too big for my face, and the dentist said he couldn't do more than take a thin slice off of them (not enough to make any difference)! They distorted my face, stretching my skin, holding my mouth open (unless I forced my lips together), and making bulges all around my face above and below my mouth. I looked scary. And at my age, my skin isn't going to snap back! My dentist denied that I looked different than I had before, but I, and people I know, knew otherwise. Luckily I had several pictures I'd taken of myself (I am an artist and took these pictures to possibly use for self-portraits), and so I took photographs of the same views and made Before and After pictures of myself and put them side by side and gave these to my dentist so he could see the difference. He looked at the pictures a long while but didn't say anything. I was due to have my dentures relined at the end of six months but when I realized my dentist wasn't going to be able to do any better, and I had useless dentures that made me ugly and I couldn't eat or talk with and were stretching my skin and etc. , and I was only going to have to spend hundreds of dollars more for the relining...for nothing...I got very depressed and about a week ago told my dentist I was not going back, and I'm not - I no longer have a dentist. I hadn't worn the lower denture, it was so bad, since about two weeks after the extractions, and only wore the upper one during part of the day if I was going to be seen. Recently, seeing that the top denture had made deep creases beside my nose in just two months of daytime wearing, I completely stopped wearing those, too, and now wear no dentures at all - what a relief it is - I now wear a scarf over the lower half of my face all day. As is the case with the lady who wrote about her predicament, I am stuck at home now, and I don't know what to do. It took years to save all that money and here I am toothless. I realize the terms of use on this site say that we can't post links to "irrelevant web sites" but I am going to post a very relevant link to my own web site I started up recently that is only about my denture problems...I make no money off of it, and am only looking for advice and comments. Please can someone advise me on what to do now that I am not only toothless but practically moneyless. The only weapon I have is my ability to put a website together with pictures and explanations and ask for comments. I hope you'll take a look. . I had to think of the name of a site that wasn't taken and that's all I could come up with at that time, but it is only about my denture problems. I put all the Before and After pictures and also my denture pictures on it. Please help if you can. Thank you.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

this message is for sansteeth.........if you are still around...I know exactly how you feel. It has been almost 1 1/2 years for me. Had all my teeth out and had problems ever since. Am on my 4th set and still have saliva, pain, headaches and much more. Am so embarassed to talk and still can't eat with them, they have recently tried the stuff that is suppose to hypo allergenic and still have all these same problems. If you are still around please post here. Maybe we can compare nightmares

Wilted Rose,

I'm still here, and I am still without teeth o.O though it just happens that next Monday I will get a new set of dentures! It's been six months since I've had that first set of dentures in my mouth at all. My skin has sagged badly from first being stretched by those huge clumsy dentures, and then going without any support at all when I stopped wearing them. And of course I've been stuck at home for all these months (with exception of visits to the dentist), wearing a scarf over the lower part of my face all day long, and unable to speak clearly or to eat anything that requires chewing.

I've wondered many times whether I'd have to go through the rest of my life without dentures, hidden away, as I knew I couldn't afford to try dentist after dentist until - maybe - one of them might make me dentures that actually fit and worked as they should. I could only give it one shot, and probably not be able to try again for another five years or so if it didn't work out.

At the beginning of October, knowing my gums had probably shrunk as much as they were going to, and after saving some money that I could use as a down payment, I started searching for another dentist. I didn't know if I could afford it, but I decided to try a dentist who specialized in cosmetic dentistry, as they would be very concerned with how a person was going to look. I also decided to go to a female dentist, for the same reason. Luckily, there was such a dentist just down the road from the dentist who made my first dentures (which, by the way, I am saving for use at Halloween, probably in a jack-o-lantern). So I made the appointment, for mid-October (2010), and I was incredibly lucky because there is a prosthodontist associated with the office who happened to come in during the initial consultation, and he decided he would make my dentures himself. I was thrilled to have an expert in dentures make my new teeth for me, and believe me, I am grateful.

I have already tried on the "pre-dentures" (I'm not sure what they're called) that are supposed to fit as the finished ones will, and they were snug and compact and did not make my face look like it was jammed full of rocks and marbles - not even one little tiny rock or marble. They looked great! I will see the real ones on Monday, as I mentioned, and be able to wear them home. I feel pretty confident that these are going to be just fine (after I learn to speak clearly, and to chew with them, and after the over-production of saliva has stopped). The teeth will look very good, I am sure, and they will feel comfortable and not be clanking into each other and falling out all the time as my first ones did. I can't do anything about my now sagging skin, though having the dentures in will help "somewhat." But at least I can leave the house again, and I won't be horribly embarrassed anymore. I'll look older because of the sagging skin, but no longer scary and ugly. What I really look forward to is being able to - someday, after lots of practice - eat a piece of toast (without cutting it into little pieces that I have to let dissolve in my mouth). So, what I recommend is to save enough money, at least for a down payment, so that you can have a prosthodontist make your dentures.

sansteeth......thank you for responding, I really really hope these work out for you. I have a 5 year guarantee/warranty so that is one reason I have stuck with my denturist, hoping they can make it better. I have been going to the denturist every wednesday now for one and half years for adjustments and new ones made every six months cause of all the changes going on.I have this throbbing in my gums even when I don't where them, my throat is sore when I do, along with all the sore spots, also my tongue burns all the time. As I am now wondering if it might be a medical issue. Am very discouraged and like you, don't want to go out anywhere besides the fact you can't eat real food. I have lost 25 pounds, am glad of that, cause I had it to loose, but feeling hungry all the time is crazy. I am anxiously awaiting your verdic come monday to see how yours feel and how you do as to whether I seek out a prosthodontist or not. Please Please keep me posted.

PS your link to your website was removed, but would be interested in seeing it, if there was a way.

correction, sorry I guess that was melissa's post, forget what I said..lol

Hello, again! I just found that the easiest way to find the website about my denture problems is to go to the bing search engine (rather than Google - I can't even find it on Google) and type in these words: really bad dentures

When I just did it, it was the first site that showed up! I doubt it will always be the first one, but it might be close! There are lots of before and (horrible) after (my first) dentures pictures on that site. After I get my new teeth (Monday!) as soon as I can I'll write on that site and also here about what they're like, and update later afer I've had some experience with them.

- Sansteeth

Okay, I've had my new teeth for a week and a half now! They look really, really good! They are not the slightest bit bulky. They do not make me look ugly. They are compact and snug and comfortable and the teeth are very pretty and don't look like horse teeth as they did in the first dentures (which were made by someone else, early this last March). On the first day I had my new dentures I could, finally, bite down on a piece of toast, and chew it, too! And I could speak more clearly -- not perfectly yet, but a lot better than I could with no teeth in my mouth! I didn't have to wear a scarf over my mouth anymore, and I could finally go into a store. In fact, my teeth are now my best feature!

My first dentures were so big that I couldn't open my mouth far enough to even try to take a bite of anything...there was no more room in there!

I am really, really happy with my new dentures and can hardly believe that things have turned out so well after spending most of the year with no teeth at all and thinking I'd probably never be able to show my face again in public. I was just very, very lucky and chose the right place to go to at the right time (when the prosthodontist was there). It costs more but I spent thousands of dollars on that first set of dentures that turned out so badly -- If only I had known I could have saved that money and it would have gone a long way toward paying the prosthodontist, who is an expert at making dentures, and who takes pride in making ones that are perfect for each individual patient. I will always be grateful to him as he has given me a new life.

Wait 20 years, it only gets worse. Dentures have destroyed my face.