Hello. I'm 37 year old male and I have some important questions to discuss with you. You see, beside many things that I have inherited from my father I have also inherited bad teeth.
I have always kept the mouth hygiene but no meter how often I was brushing my teeth –the caries was present all the time. After years of battle with it- I have lost and lost all my teeth also. Before that occurred I was wearing partial denture for at least five years but when I lost all my teeth- my dentist told me that complete denture is unavoidable. So, because I don’t know anything about this, I would like to find out more. If someone knows something about this, please feel free to write about it!

I know some facts about these dentures and I will gladly share my knowledge with you. You see, dentures are a set of replacement teeth for any teeth that are missing. Like you have mentioned, there are the partial and the complete ones. Complete dentures rest directly on the gum that covers the bone.
Both types of dentures are removable and usually made of metal and acrylic resin a plastic-like material that is molded to fit the exact shape of a person's mouth. These days, the technique of making these dentures has improved a lot. But there are always some problems that could occur such as clicking, slipping, gum irritation, staining and odor. There are signs your dentures aren't fitting properly and may need to be adjusted, relined or remade.

Hey, I'm a 27yr old woman, and I've been a denture wearer for 2 years now. The most important thing to remember is to wear them. The bottoms will be VERY uncomfortable for awhile, and avoiding it will only make it worse. You need to wear tehm daily to get used to it. And the gag reflexes will stop after a day or 2. Always use fixodent COMPLETE. It has the best hold. They guy who made my dentures told me to use it, and of course, I felt the need to try others. None worked as long. Also, always go for your fittings. Yes, the mold taste like perm but a good fit means less denture cream (or glue as I call it!) I lost contact with the guy who did my dentures, and now I use 1 tube of *glue* every 2 weeks, which is alot. IF you have any questions reply to this and I'll keep checking.

Please help me. I have had dentures for almost two tears. Had them made three times. I went to a specialist the last time. Cost me over $3000.00 for top plate. It was still lose. Dr said I couldn't be fit tightly. No suction at all. After glueing them in and gagging constaly I used a dremal tool and removed the palet part of the plate. It did no good. Before you tell me I shouldn't have done that, rmrmrber, I am on my third pair and had no suction anyway. I have tried hypnosis everything. I can't afford to get implants now as I have spent over $10,000 in all. I can't leave the house. My life is ruined. I know that sounds dramatic. But it is. I am seroisly concitering suicide as I feel usless. Please help me, somebody must know something.
_[removed]_m. Help

suicide isn't the answere, try what I do. Glue them in and keep cough drops in your mouth witle whereing them. this is the only option I have found that works. it does get old after awile though.

I am a 33 year old women who was just born with bad teeth, they started falling out when I was 18. After my 2nd child was born, I decided that I would have no more children and I was ready for dentures. 8 months later, I am still not used to them but they are managable. However, a surprise happened and I found myself pregnant again. I am now 4 1/2 months pregnant and for the last 3 weeks, I CAN NOT wear my dentures at all...the minute I put them in I throw up, they make me feel like I am sufficating. I am pregnant, I am hungry ALL THE TIME and I can't eat hardly anything. I can not leave the house except when I absolutly have to, and when that happens I make sure to use the self check out and not to talk to anybody.

I am hungry, I am isolated and I don't know what to do. I talked to my dentist, he cut them out as far as they would go and that didn't help at all. He says there is nothing more he can do for me. Does anybody have any ideas to help at all?

I'm desprate...

_[removed]_

try desensitizing the back of your mouth (the top) with oragel, or try spraying breath spray like binaca (or a brand like it) before you put the denture in. spray at least 3 sprays. I had the same problem when I first got mine. I also sucked on different flavored candy canes (popcorn was my favorite) eventually it worked.
Hope this helps.

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum.  I searched for an answer as to how to adjust to my new dentures (full upper, partial lower).  I just got them yesterday and have not been able to keep them in my mouth for more then 2 minutes due to the increased saliva build up and gagging.  I do a lot of public speaking so it's important that I get used to these quickly as I have not been able to conduct my speaking engagements for the past 2 months due to the process of extraction and denture creation.  

Thanks for the suggestion to desensitize the back of my mouth as posted by Guest on 2/3/08.  I did this and was able to keep them in for 25 minutes.  I still have the gagging, but I have found that when I start the gagging, if I sip on some liquid it helps me to swallow.  Also I am only keeping the full upper one in because that is where the problem is.

It's helping, thank you so much for this post.  It's also good to know that I'm not alone in this.  XD

I switched to denture powder, much better hold than Fixodent, Less "goop" in your mouth. I can now go all day and each 3 meals with one application of power. Hope this helps.

I gag also, if I could get the dentist to make my platte a little thinner I think I would be ok

What do you mean by thinner?

I think your upper plate needs to be shorter in the back. They usually make the upper plate longer than necessary, then shorten it as needed for comfort. If it's too short you loose suction and the plate keeps falling down.

I have had dentures since I was 19 when the Army decided to replace my rotten natural teeth. I'm now 72 and have had 4 or 5 new sets. I go through the same ritual with each new set. The back of the upper plate is too long and the inner sides of the lower is too long. The outer sides of both are always too long and need to ground down. Mostly I get sores where anything is too long because it rubs hard against the gums, so it's easy to locate the spots that need to be ground. Sometimes I have had to go back to the dentist a dozen or more times to get it right.

Go back to him/her until it's right. That's their job. Your job is to pay them and they should make what you paid for, work.

I tried using denture glue stuff, paste and powder, when I first got them but I soon gave up on that junk. I have not used anything to keep them in place since about 6 months after getting the first set over 50 years ago.

I was an instructor in the Army when I got my first ones and they tried to escape out of my mouth a few times when I was talking to the class but hey that's life. I spent several months in front of a class with no teeth at all so that was a minor inconvenience.

I can eat everything I want including apples and corn on the cob and I love chewing ice. When I was a kid everyone I knew who had false teeth, my mother, father, grandmothers, all sounded like they had false teeth when they talked. I don't. No one knows I have dentures unless I choose to show it or talk about it.

I don't know if they all had lousy dentists or I am incredibly lucky or maybe they felt like victims and they chose to act like they had false teeth.

Im sorry for some the gagging reaction will not go away . Indeed mine has not gone away in over 10 years wearing dentures. I am wondering if there is a medical intervention available, such as severing the nerve ?

i have had my upper denture for 10 months now, and I still salvia bad and still gag>

Sue the dentists until he gets it right!!!

I just got my full set yesterday ....n had my 1st adjustment today .....I was in a lot of pain .. its sumwat better now .....but does dentist cut out plastic mold on top dentures ...because its a big downward bump n my tongue stays downward like I need to be suick ......n bottom plastic irritates my tongue ........im havin a terrible time ...its only been a day but ...im very irritated ...