I have been having back pain problems for almost three months now. I got the injury while playing basketball. I came late to the match and did not warm up and stretched at all, thus the injury. Anyway, I have been prescribed with OxyContin, pain reliever. The funny thing is, doctor told me to cut it in half? Can you cut OxyContin in half? I mean, is it safe?

Well, I have heard of several cases where doctors ordered their patients to cut OxyContine in half. And I have heard one more thing do not crush the pill! It can kill you! Only take clean halves, nothing else. To be honest, I do not see the difference, but I know that you might overdose with crushed pills, I guess they are absorbed faster like that. Anyway, if the doctor told you to do it, then listen to him. Of course, if I were you, I would like for a second opinion. Just in case.

Why would you even post this? It says right on the label that you can't cut them in half. The doctor didn't tell you to cut an OxyContin pill in half.

Some places dont give out the info on not cutting them in half and it does not say that on my label. The pharmacist told me to cut them in half since he did not have the strength I needed. I questioned it and he said that you just dont crush them but cutting in half was fine. Of course he was wrong. If you cut them in half , then they become fast acting.They also can cause ulcers that way.

Well, if we're talking about the old OCs instead of the new abuse-proof OPs version (as far as i know it's USA-only. Really crappy stuff) the answer is YES, they can be cut in half.

The waxy extended release mechanism is in the whole pill, not in the coating as many users believe. The coating is used to separet the various strenghts in colours and to make it easier to swallow.

And I say that from personal experience. I have insanely severe fybromialgia and the only IR opioids/ates avaliable in Brazil is morphine (10 and 30mg), codeine (30mg w/ APAP and 50mg w/ diclofenac), tramadol 50 and 100mg.
When I used 40mg twice daily, so when I used to walk (which is a MUST in fybromialgia) out I used to cut the pills in 1/2 or 1/4 because i coulndt stand the pain without narcotics doing exercises, I'd usually feel no pain relief during the exercises.
So one day I decided to crush the pill and swallow the powder... BOOM, instant release oxycodone!

Sorry for the off topic,but to the OP: yes, you can cut OxyContin pills in half, they will keep the extented release mechanism, because it's inside the whole pill, not only on the coating (one that you can take off just suck the pill for a few seconds)

I tried to cut one in half. There is a coating on the pill that makes it almost inpossible to cut if in half. I tried to suck the coating off and drying it. It was very sticky and did not allow me to cut it in half. I think they make them that way so people dont shoot them or snort them. I tried and nothing. I chewed it and it was like chewing a nowandlater candy. Yuk.

I have had fibromayalgia for may years now. I been through theraphy and seen many doctors. I use to take hydrocodone but then it stop working. I then took oxycodone but my pain is so bad it only last about 3-4 hours. I'm now talking oxycontin 40 milligams but I'm still hurting badly. Is it ok if I take a whole Oxy and a half one?

werlyson, hi i have insanely severe fybromialgia also, the pain is everywhere but mainly just in the legs, some days id rather have no legs then go through this for the rest of my life, but without my meds i cant even walk to the bathroom without crying. its bad, plus i have 4 kids and a home to take care of. They switched me from 400mg a day of Tramadol(which worked very well as long as i took 2 extra a day) to 100mg a day of the Tramadol ER, they did absolutely nothing for me i was stil in alot of pain, calling pain management monday and telling them but anyway ive heard alot of people taking these stronger medicines, i declined lortab and others because i didnt want to be on a narcotic, but since they classified Tramadol as narcotic recently, it doesnt matter lol im wondering if these stronger medicines are really worth it? and does it give you a steady dose of 30mg a day or just give u the 30mg slowly? my pain is very intense all of the time so when a medicine starts wearing off my legs start to hurt pretty bad.

Yea u can, but why that makes no sence . If u have a question like this and your not calling the pill maker then your abusing the meds

hey buddy the dr. wants you to take less of them. if you take 4 a day then go to two a day. simple, cut down your intake by 1/2. embrace life.

Life suckes when in pain every day. People who end there life with over dose had enough pain so tell the Doctors cutting down on pain meds for the ones that need them is a big mistake and could end there life enough, with tis DEA They have no clue what it is like to have pain every day. They are going over board with this pain med.

i KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN.....THE PAIN IS UNBEARABLE.....I``VE HAD IT FOR THIRTY YEARS....AND IT`S ALSO THE SAME WITH ME WITH THE LEGS.....AND UNFORTUNATELY, NO ONE IN YOUR LIFE UNDERSTANDS THE PAIN.....TAKE CARE

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN....FIBROMYALGIA IS HORRIBLE....PAIN IS UNBEARABLE....AND IT`S ALSO MOSTLY IN MY LEGS....ALSO WHEN THE PAINKILLERS WEAR OFF....TAKE CARE

Absolutely not! You do not know where the narcotic medicine is.if it were safe then it woud have a slit to cut it.I've been on narcotics since I was 12.I'm 43.always call a pharmacy, & get at least 2 or more opinions.You better listen to what I'm telling you.Not all doctors are mistake free.Nor are pharmacist.Please Listen!

So rude to tell someone their doctor did NOT tell them to cut in half. Were you there??? Didn't think so. I know for a fact that MANY doctors Do in fact say that. The prescription lasts much longer that way if the patient does not need the full dose of the pill.