I have a friend who told me that OxyContin contains oxycodone, which is a very strong narcotic pain reliever similar to morphine. I wonder if that is true, that OxyContin is designed so that the oxycodone is slowly released over time. He said it allows it to be used twice daily, which I found interesting. Now I would like to hear more about OxyContyn. Can you tell me what rather pain it could relieve, and when it is not right medicine for some person?

First, I have to tell you or anyone who uses OxyContin should never break, chew, or crush the tablet. The reason is that causes a large amount of oxycodone to be released from the tablet all at once, potentially resulting in a dangerous or fatal drug overdose. OxyContin is intended to help relieve pain that is moderate to severe in intensity. This is medicine used when that pain is present all the time, and expected to continue for a long time. This level of pain severity may be caused by a variety of different medical conditions, so only a physician can determine if OxyContin is a good choice to manage someone’s pain. If patient has pain every day that lasts for a large part of the day, and the pain is moderate or severe, OxyContin may be a good choice. If person feel he/she only need to take a pain reliever occasionally, OxyContin is not the right drug. If you only need a pain reliever for a few days, OxyContin is also not the right drug for you. OxyContin may interfere with ability to do certain things that require full attention. Patient should not drive a car, operate heavy machinery, or do other possibly dangerous activities while taking OxyContin.

Hi Doucet,

Check out this link: http://www.medicinenet.com/oxycodone/article.htm

I think you will find that oxycontin is a brand name for the generic oxycodone.

Also you can pick up some useful information about the drug.

longknife