Help! In so much pain, Urgent Care said rare to have these symptoms, dont know what it is - said nothing else they can do - and they don't care! Put on ant-biotics and sent home. Numb & Tingling fingers, hands, pain so bad it makes me sob, traveling up arm. Bitten on the wrist, bad puncture wounds & stratches

Bitten by my own healthy indoor cat

Have you received tetanus shot in the last five years? If you haven’t, you might need to boost it. The most common signs of infection are unusual redness, swelling, increasing warmth in the area, tenderness, red streaking and fever.
I suppose they have cleaned the area with soap and water and alcohol. Antibiotics are necessary for at least ten days to prevent an infection. If you have numb and tingling sensations, some of the nerves could have been damaged and your doctor should have had it looked.

Since it has been a few days, you should call for a follow-up if your symptoms are still present.
Are you sure that the cat doesn’t have rabies? If your cat starts showing any signs of illness, you should have it also checked for rabies and than you would have to take a rabies shot.

Get checked for cat scratch fever.....now

just found this thread and felt compelled to reply. I got bitten by a cat coming round from a GA today. Quite nasty puncture wound on the top of my left hand and nr my thumb. Saw a doctor and was cleaned up and given antibiotics. Only now I'm home its numb and very painful dispite taking painkillers and i keep getting tingling feelings. Not sure whether to go to the hospital tmoro or not. Cat bites are taken quite seriously but i dnt want to waste any1s time. Im a student VN and am feeling a bit fragile at present. Its very hard to move my hand now. Any advice?

I too was biten by a cat (my fault, the poor thing had fallen from a 4th floor, he was in so much pain, I felt I couldn't leave him there like that)

He bit my index finger, it was horribly painful, one of his fangs hit the joint, I applied antibiotic oinment for a few days and the swelling, pain and stiffness got way better. Then, a few days ago suddenly the pain, swelling and stiffness came back!! I don't know why!! I went to the doctor and I got a tetanus booster vaccine and I am taking Augmentine. Ever since I started with the oral antibiotics (day and a half ago) the pain has gotten worse and the stiffness too, it is almost unbearable. I have to go back in three days to my doctor, but I wonder if I should be seen earlier. Is it normal that the antibiotic gives more pain? Is it because the bite was so old when I started?

Thank you for your advice!

extreme lower back pain after a nasty cat bite that required intravenus antibiotics in the hospital followed up with pain meds and antibiotics antiinflammatory meds, swelling decreasing throbbing pain decreasing, back pain is unbearable. any link with venom from cat bite affecting central nervous system? This is with all symptoms with redness numbness and tingling as well from the area of the bite.

I am going through same exact situation. Last night our family cat bit me punturing a small, but pretty deep hole in my forearm. It began swelling into a lump with severe redness, accompanied with massive, massive pain. I began having unbearable lower back pain about 2 - 3 hours after bitten. I have been cleaning it with water, soap, poroxide & alcohol, then put bactine on it. Later; after cleaning it again, then used neosporine. Found some Benadryl cream so put some of that on it, too.

I know this was written awhile back, but is there any way to find out what the outcome of this person's situation was?

Please let me know somethig... please?!

I just was bitten by my cat (rescuing her from the pool) with multiple puncture wounds on my forearm. I swabbed down with alcohol and put a topical antibiotic. I also rinsed with an antibiotic cleanser that my husband was given by a new company that sells to special forces units in the military. The next morning, my arm was red, swollen (about 5 inches along my forearm). I went to urgent care. They said that cat bite wounds are among the worst (next to human bites). And because the puncture wounds are deep (mine was very deep as she latched on while I pulled her out of the pool), they are very prone to infection even if cleaned. I was given an antibiotic injection there and an antibiotic prescription which I could start the same day. They said that if it gets worse to come in the next day for another injection (very painful, in the butt, so it would have to be bad!) - that sometimes it takes 2-3 days of injections plus the oral antibiotics. They also said I need to keep it elevated (was given a sling for my arm) to keep the swelling reduced and rest. I was given Vicadin for the pain (substantial!). I thought I'd post this as it sounds like my urgent care facility (tied to a top clinic in San Diego) took this more seriously than the other replies. And that just applying topical antibiotics often won't be sufficient.

I too have to reply as I had no idea how serious and painful cat bites could be !! The other night a stray was out in our yard and my indoor cat was lounging in the window. He started to puff his hair up and growl so I got up to close the patio door and boom he latched on me. He is normally sweet but skittish so I was shocked. He scratched my leg all over but also but above the knee on the thigh and a deep claw puncture into my muscle. I cleaned it immediately and another three times before bed ( lots of blood) and figured I was OK. Woke up in the night , about 4 hours later and could barely move my leg, swelling and redness had already started. Went to the emergency room about 3 hours later pain was a 9/10, and this I can say after giving birth naturally !! When I came in they immediately address me because they said cat bites are very serious.I was given a tetanus, painkillers and antibiotics. The pain killers help for a bit but I find the redness worse and the pain so bad I have thrown up. Doc says this is normal for a cat bite to get worse before it gets better but this is ridiculous... life on hold for a freaking cat bite!!

I was bit a few weeks ago on my right hand even though I was on antibiotic within 3 hours of thebit, the next moring my hand turned red and swelled and I could not bend it. the pain was unbarable. I ened up in the hospital for three days. a few weeks later I am still having pain, my hand is still swallen. I would never wish a cat bit on anyone!

I along with a boy got bitten by a stray cat while trying to catch it to give it a better home. Several others in the litter tamed in no time after they were caught. This one however did not want to be caught. I have 6 puncture wounds, 4 on my pointer finger knuckle and 2 on the palm thumb area. This is day 3 and the finger is stiff at the joint and just a little swollen, the punture points are red and it is a little painful today. It is very painful if I bend it or hit it over something. Like its been smashed with a hammer. I started on some antibiotics(Doxycycline Hyclate - 9 pills) the day of the bite. Should I be worried. Animal control has been trapping the strays but we cant seem to catch the one that bit us. We proved it totally. They are going to shot it today and send it off since the other boy went to the ER. Do I need to wait this out or wait and see what happens with the kitten results on Rabies? Please advise. I have pain meds for other health issues so I can deal with the minimal pain. what do you think???

I was bit by a cat and SCRUBBED it clean with Dove soap and then cleaned it with H2O2 (I know, they say no peroxide) then I applied bactroban (several times daily). Gross, but I squeezed the infection out and I do not even have a scar. It was a 2 week process of SCRUBBING it clean with mild soap and then applying bactroban. It was VERY painful but I survived.

Yeah, it happens sometimes but it's good that you were able to get through it--next time though try to check with a physician. YOu might have gotten rabies and that can't be fixed with Dove! Does that help?

I am another cat-bite victim-on the back of my hand just one tooth mark which bled. This is my third day and it is swelled some and pink; the swelling is going up my arm and under my watch band which is now too tight. It doesn't hurt but it is sensitive, my knuckles are tender though. I have hip implants so last night I took four antibiotics that I keep necessary for other doctor visits--like the dentise. I've read most of the other histories of cat bites and they scare me. Since this is the third day and it doesn't seem to be getting any worse should I have it checked by a doctor? Also, I am sure it has been more than five years of my last tetinus. XXXOOO Nellye in Edmond, Oklahoma

I just wanted to add to this, since I notice not a single person has given a follow up. My cat somehow got himself stuck in our artificial tree and was scared to death. When I tried to help him, he latched onto my fingers very hard. My fingers bled, got very swollen and red and for about two weeks stayed quite numb and tingly. I did not go to the doctor as I was up to date on shots as was my cat and I had to go out of town immediately after it happened. After about 3 weeks it was still very sore, but the swelling and redness had mostly gone away and the feeling was back in my fingers. All of this is quite normal of a cat bite, and nothing to worry about, other than the fact that it is quite painful, of course. While the skin is trying to heal, you may even find yourself feeling sick or weak because your body is fighting extra hard to heal the bite. It is also quite normal for the bite to puss, and it is actually good for it to get out the saliva and bacteria that may have gotten in there. Make sure that you put something on it that is for healing as well as pain relieving. I used a really good topical cream with pain relievers and put it on for about a week, and that really helped out. My fingers are now almost healed and looking MUCH better. They are still quite sensitive, but that is to be expected for a while. It is probably best to go to a doctor, but just know that all of these symptoms are quite typical of a bad cat bite. Do be aware that cat scratch fever is possible and sometimes does not show up for months after the bite, so do your research and have it checked out.