I am 26 weeks pregnant with my second child, and have had two occasions of bleeding during this pregnancy (at 21 wks & at 25 wks) that have had me admitted to the hospital with no explaination to the cause. My cervix was closed on examination and the placenta in perfect condition after ultrasounds both times.

This second time was especially bad, with bleeding heavier than my periods normally were for the first day and eventually stopping after being in the hospital for three days on bedrest. While in the hospital, they would check my vitals and the baby's heartrate every 2-3 hours, never with any change from normal. This baby is quite active and the fact that I feel him moving so often is what has kept me sane. Is it true some women just get periods during pregnancy? Are they as heavy as a reagular period?

I should also mention that I have between 2nd and 3rd degree uterine prolapse from my first pregnancy, and I'm unsure that this could be a contributing factor, but I do know things are sitting a lot lower and I feel the weight with pain by the end of the day.

I have not yet been put on bedrest, because there is really nothing wrong, but I have limited my activities on my own out of paranoia.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Do you have any similar stories? I'd love to hear them. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

I too have had unexplained bleeding! I woke up a day ago to pee in the middle of the night and I start bleeding (similar to a medium heavy period). We went in to the hospital and baby's heartbeat and activity was totally normal. By mid-day, the bleeding that decreased significantly and my doctor just told me to take it easy (no exercise, etc.) through the weekend. I also have put myself on semi-bed rest out of paranoia! The bleeding has totally stopped but I can't stop worrying about why it started in the first place!

Just wanted to let you know someone out there feels your pain! (figuratively, not literally!) :-)

Hello, I'm pregnant with my fourth child, and I am 15 weeks pregnant. I too, within the last month have had 2 occasions where spontaneously I got a instant release of very heavy bleeding along with clotting.
both times i went to the ER, and the first time, it was basically pawned off as typical 1rst trimester implantation bleeding. but this last time, I walked downstairs to the parking lot of my apartment, and as i began to walk back up my stairs, I instantly felt this rush of blood, by the time I made it into the house, I was soaked. (sorry to be graphic) even my periods werent that heavy. i of course went to the ER, and once again they gave me an ultrasound, I saw the baby moving around, and heard the heartbeat. the different doctor that time said that at that point the baby seemed fine, but that I could possibly be in the early stages of a miscarraige, and that if i began to experience any cramping (i hadnt experienced any cramping either time) to come back because i probably was experiencing a miscarraige. Of course, just like the last time, bleeding almost immediately stopped. Im just so confused, ive had 3 ultrasounds, and heard nothing relating to why i may be bleeding heavily and passing clots, and nothing regarding a problem with the placenta. on the web i cant seem to find any real relevent info on 2nd trimester heavy bleeding. Please help! i know that u are futher along in your pregnancy.. so I'm hoping u have had more luck on a diagnosed prob?

I am pregnant with my second child and I am 18 weeks along.
There have been 2 episodes of unexplained bleeding. One at 12 weeks and one at 17. The baby is fine in ultrasounds and there is no problem with placenta etc.
I find it very worrisome and I think about it constantly. I am ever worried about what will happen if it happens again. My only consolation is that once I am 20 weeks along, I can go to the birthing suite in the hospital instead of emerg. I pray it doesn't happen again but feel like I can;t trust that it won't. I have to wear a pad constantly in case it happens I am completely Paranoid!
If anyone gets answers please post!! 8-|

I am also experiencing some unexplained bleeding..I am 23 weeks today and the bleeding (bright red) started last week and only lasted for one day. Then, about 4 days ago, I again started to bleed that seemed to come and go as it pleased, sometimes seeming heavy (been wearing tampons for 10 years, different having to wear a pad) and I have also seen some blood clots (today one was about the size of a nickel). I called the doc and they had me go to the hospital for an u/s and everything looked great. The baby seems to be just fine and they couldn't explain what was causing the bleeding. There were 2 incidents where I felt a rush of blood while trying to have a bowel movement but then the bleeding seemed to stop. The doc's office had me in yesterday for some blood work but I couldn't see the doc 'cause she was at the hospital delivering a baby. I have an appt. this morning (in about 2 hrs) and I am petrified! I still feel the baby move, which makes me feel better but it really bothers me that they don't know what's causing the bleeding. I have searched far and wide on the internet, hoping to find something similar to my situation (this is the first place where I found someone experiencing something similar who wasn't like 6 weeks prego) and I must say that seeing others in the same boat as me...it's nice know that I am not alone in the dark. Hoping everything turns out to be fine for everyone posting.

Hi

Thanks for all the support. In this post, everyone is having an un-explained bleeding including myself. I have had 8 ultrasounds so far. Doctors could not diagnose anything. They look at placenta position and cervix closed or open, is cervix inflamed(culture test). Beyond that, there are no other reasons.

Please also look for this. Try not to catch cold. I was sneezing so heavily when my problem started in 17 weeks. Its now 19. Spotting of brown clots has not stopped since then. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Secondly, I also wanted to tell you guys that there can be problem beneath the placenta which the ultra-sound doesn't show. Again a small portion of the cervix cannot be inspected visually or in ultra-sound.

Whatever be it, my baby too like yours is doing good and growing steady.
Nevertheless that doesn't remove any stress because we don't know whats in store for tomorrow

Best thing about this post is that we have people in this post from 12 weeks to 25 and none of us has reported any failure.

Lets pray we go forward positively and with confidence to deliver our babies very very well.

Wish you all good luck and do keep in mind to not stress your stomach (Abstain from sex, exercise, bending over etc. ) and be on bed rest as much as you can.

Drive safely and slowly if you have to. Good luck all of you.

Hey,

This post may be a little late but have any of your drs suggested a Subchorionic Hematoma? I had a very heavy bleed at 13 weeks that sent me to the ER where they said I had some bleeding behind my placenta. Much lighter bleeding/spotting continued for a few days and then changed to brown spotting that just stopped 3 days ago (I am now 18 weeks). I hope all works out for all of you and if you haven't figured it out yet as about the SCH.

Hi Everyone,
I am 24 weeks pregnant with twins tomorrow and I had a bleed at 14 weeks and at 23 weeks. The at 14 it was much stronger and I went to ER because I did not know what it was... They saw nothing, but my OB said 3 days later that it was a small SCH sub chorionic hematoma. That has disappeared since , but last weeks at 23 weeks I had another bleed less severe and had an ultrasound the next day an they saw nothing wrong with the babies, cervix or placenta. I have heard though that a small placental tear can go undetected with ultrasound and only seen at the tine of delivery. I am hoping for the best and I believe that the bleeding has to have a cause even if it is a small reason.
So I am doing bedrest as much as possible and hoping that I makeit to 37 weeks!! Anyone out there from the previous posts? I would love to hear any updates....

I am glad to see that some of you are father along in your pregnancies and that you are still pregnant. I have had the same experience only my bleeding happened about a week in between. I'm so scared to do anything. they say it's ok for me to work, but told me to stop doing the yoga I was doing and limit my exercise. They can't figure out why I'm bleeding. the first time it happened I had moved a few things around in the house getting things ready for the baby. nothing heavy or anything like that, but when I went to take a shower I started gushing blood, no cramps, no pain, just blood, so I now have flash backs while taking showers(wonderful), the second time which was a little over a week after I did yoga two days before it happened and then went for a walk the night after I did yoga. Then woke up bleeding again only the second time I didn't bleed as long, and there wasn't as much. I passed a clot and then the bleeding turned to brown spotting. I don't know what to think. we tried for 8 months to get pregnant and now I'm having trouble :-(. I just hope my baby makes it to full term. I pray all the time that it will be safe, and this last time bleeding is the last of this madness. Doc says baby is ok, and everything looks good. placenta is a little low but not extreme. Good luck to all of you and I'm thank you to all how have been posting on here. it's good to know there's someone out there that knows I'm not just making this up.

It doesn't look like anyone has posted on this site for a few months.. but I thought I would share my situation since it seems to be similar to others on this board.

I am currently 22 weeks (1st pregnancy) and have been bleeding non-stop since April 20th, it has now been over a month of straight bleeding... sometimes very heavy with clotting (largest being at least 3in x 3in and filled with blood) very hard to measure exactly when in the toilet. I go through more pantyliners and pads now then I did when I wasn't pregnant. I have been to the doctor several times and have my 5th ultrasound tomorrow. So far they cannot figure out where the blood is coming from, I do not have a low lying placenta, my cervix is closed, they did not detect any "blood blisters" in or around the uterus or placenta. Every ultrasound that I've had has been normal, besides the bleeding.

I will update tomorrow after my US in the morning.. Good luck to everyone and I hope you don't have to endure the stress and anxiety this causes! It's awful!

I have been going through the same thing! This is my second pregnancy and I started bleeding during week 3 and am now in week 16. I have never gone through so many pads in my life as I have during the last three months. I've been to two OB/GYNs and neither can explain the bleeding and/or clots nor were they overly concerned because it's still the 1st trimester. No visible SCH and the placenta does not seem to be low. Ultrasounds and first trimester screen have revealed a healthy baby and placenta. It's so strange that this can't be explained. I have my first 2nd trimester appt. tomorrow. At least it's reassuring to know that I''m not the only one out their experiencing this. Best of luck Moms and please keep us posted on your progress.

I was in the ER on Sunday for unexplained bleeding at 20 weeks. they told me they didn't know what is causing it, but baby is fine, cervix is closed, go home, take it easy, rest, and no sex. baby is still fine....

It is funny, I had the exct same thing happen to me about three days ago. I was at work not doing anything but walking, when i felt a gush of blood, I am 13 weeks pregnant with my fifth child, and figured it was a miscarriage. I went to the ER quite convinced i was losing the baby. After an exam they said my cervix is closed and after an US the baby is fine, In the words of the ER dr there is no reason for the bleeding. The bleeding stopped after just a few hours, but i still see brown blood. I have searched the internet as well, and there doesn't seem to be any info except here. Oh, and with my other four pregnancies I never experienced anything like this.

I too have had no stop bleeding from 12weeksto22weeks which I'm at now. I have seen 3 doctors and a specialist and nobody can explain it. I am on bed rest in the hospital hoping to make it as long as I can. I have been diagnosed with every possible placenta issue at least once by different docs, I have had more than I can count healthy ultrasounds, given antibiotics, fluids through an iv, they even gave ambien to helpp the baby sleep. Meanwhile no new information! Please follow up with your posts and let me know where things ended.

I am 22 weeks and I too have had bleeding at weeks 12, 18, and now 22. The bleeding is not lighter than my normal period and I still feel the baby move and my midwife still hears a strong heartbeat.

It would be great to know the outcome of the earlier posts!

Thanks for sharing.