For the last three days I’ve had swollen upper eyelids. The eyeball itself isn’t red or inflamed but the eyelid is really swollen. It looks a bit strange because it seams like I'm always sleepy and tired. I thought it would pass by it self but it didn’t, then symptoms are just getting worse day by day. My upper eyelid is constantly swollen and I was wondering what could be the cause?

I think you should visit your doctor, who will probably think of bacterial infection. He might prescribe you Chloramphenicol, which is one of the best antibiotic based drugs for eye infections, that causes swollen eyelids. If that drug doesn’t help than you must consider that you maybe suffer from some viral infection like conjunctivitis. There are several different viruses can cause conjunctivitis. Some of them, such as enteroviruses and adenoviruses, can spread rapidly and cause conjunctivitis while others primarily cause skin infections. That causes the eye to become infected, if the eyelids are involved. As you probably know, there is no specific treatment for viral conjunctivitis, and the condition gets better on its own. Antibiotic eye drops prevent secondary infection from bacteria, but primary swollen upper eyelid will pass on its own. Then only thing you can do it to be a little more patient because your symptoms of swollen upper eyelid will probably disappear in a week.

I have had that for a month or so- it's not very severe but it's noticable, I highly doubt it's some sort of bacterial thing, but I'm unsure as of to the cause. If there's anything you find that could help please let me know.

-Valerie

If the eye itself is not red, and its not painful, just swollen, it might be an allergic reaction. Take some benedryl until the swelling goes down. It helped me.

i have also suffered this but it only appeared this morning at first i thought it was a new product but i had used but then i realized that i had used this product previously and there was no change. i also look sleepy and tired. my eyes look really small and the swelling seems to be closing my eyes. i only knew that my eyes were swollen by looking in a mirror i didn't feel any different when i woke up.

try some hot soaks to get the fluids moving..use a clean washrag and soak it in hot water (not scalding, but hot) and hold them over your eyelids off and on for 10 minutes 3 x a day. it woked for me!

it really hurts when i touch it or tilt my head downward. the other eye is fin though its just the left eye is swollen it wasn't noticeable by vision but if u take a closer look it should be noticeable but i think it maybe geting bigger please help

Sounds like a sty, it happens to me, a warm wash cloth will help

I get swollen eyelids constantly. I still don't know what causes it. I have had sinus problems which may be part of the problem. Two of things I use to get rid of the eyelid puffiness is use sudafed and a diruetic (water pill). It brings them down in about an hour. If you use a diruetic, make sure that you drink a lot of water and eat a banana to replace your potassium.

Hey there everbody, I've been having a swollen left eyelid for the past three days, and it's only been my left. the eyeball itself isn't affected, just the eyelid, and it hurts whenever I touch it or when I bend downwards. it kind of blocks my vision too, and I havent been able to go running and for training because of that. the swelling makes me look really sleepy as my eye is now smaller, and the swelled up left eyelid is pink and reddish, a single swollen eyelid, as compared to my right double eyelid. does anybody know the cure for this? please get back to me at _[removed]_ :-D or just share it here. I've tried eyedrops and the antibiotics te doctor pescribed me for swelling, but it seems to have gotten worse. oh, and just yesterday I developed a pretty bad sore throat, but I'm not really sure if it's related to the swollen eyelid. I skipped school today because I could barely see with my left eye, and my exams are coming soon, so I cant keep skipping, help!

I am also having issues with my right eyelid, this has been ongoing for about 1 month, I have been to the Dr and was put on antibiotics and eye drops for 7 days. Well it has been 2wks since my 7 days medications have passed and my right eyelid is still swollen but the strange thing is it gets swollen when I go to sleep at nights and during the day the swelling will go down and back up when I wake up in the mornings. In the beginning my eye did hurt but now it's not hurting just very cloudy.

I've also experienced swelling around one eye. Saturday evening, I was playing with my cat, who accidentally caught me with his back claws, puncturing the skin to the side of my head by my eye, with one small puncture wound just above my eye. I cleaned it and put Neosporin on the cut, and the next day (Sunday) it looked OK. But Monday morning, I awoke with the area above my eye quite puffy. Tuesday it was puffy below my eye too, but the puffiness seemed a bit better by mid-day. But today, it's much more swollen. The area to the side of the eye where the cat really got me (sratches) seems healed, but there are small red spots there, and the swelling is worse around the eye itself. I'm unemployed and had to give up my health insurance, so I really can't afford to see a doctor. Any suggestions? I'm 52, in case that's relevant.

Hello everyone,

I have had this same issue, particularly with my left eye-lid, on and off now for about 8 months. Just as you think it has gone you wake up one morning only to find your lid blown-up again, it last for days, the skin peels from having been stretched, and the vicious cycle continues. I have been to 3 doctors, and although they have determined that it is not an allergy or an infection, they have not been able to figure out exactly what it is. But I have done my own research in attempt to resolve my issue and this is what I have found. For those of you whom other diagnoses have been ruled out (allergy, infection, dermatitis, etc) stop washing your linens every other day and slathering creams on the area. Your problem most likely is coming from the inside - not the out.

It is my understanding that the swelling of the eyelids, usually one eye in particular and void of itchiness or pus, can be a reaction from both extreme stress, or dehydration. It can be an exterior symptom of the immune-system having to work extra hard to protect your body. If topical treatments and removal of allergens from your living area are not working, take it upon yourself to start drinking lots (100 oz) of water each day to help flush your liver of toxins, and engage in some stress relieving activities such as yoga or other form of exercise, relaxation breathing techniques, and try your best to remove stressors from your life. If neither of these suggestions help, your body may be sending you a message about a possible immunity disorder, so instead of going back to the dermatologist or the allergist, get yourself to an immunologist.

The stress relief and the water both help me. I had an awful flare up yesterday, I could barely open my eyes upon waking up, and I expected it to be even worse this morning but I drank lots of water yesterday and did some breathing exercises before bed and today it's barely noticeable. The tricky thing is remembering to do these things each day to prevent the flare ups, instead of just trying to tackle them when they show up. Good luck everyone.

i have this problem at the moment could you please let me know if you got yours sorted.i have had it on and off for the past 2months and don't no whats causing it.its very embarrasing and really uncomfortable.its the same as with you that it gets swollen when i wake in the moring and goes down in the day.please answer asap so i can put my mind at rest.

I am having the same thing also. It's been going on for more than a month now. I have seen two eye doctors already. They gave me antibiotic pills and cream but nothing worked so far. I have try warm press and putting tea bags on my eye lids. It seems to me that some glands are clogged.

I think the previous post may be relevant. I have been under extreme stress in the past month. I think it could be the cause of it. I will try drinking lots of water and some relaxation techniques. I really hate the swelling since I feel embarrassed to go out. This sucks since I can't even enjoy the nice weather.

Another other suggestion to help reduce the swelling?