My mother was in hospital and one week after being released from the hospital she contacted C-DIF infection. It was placed in bowel and got it from being in hospital. During that time her counts were back up and they treated her with antibiotics and sent her home a week later. I wonder if that is possible to get C-DIF infection in hospital. Is that common, or just few cases and did anyone had the same problem?

I was fighting AML and I had serious bout with Clostridium difficile infection, known as C-DIF infection. That is a bacteria that nearly everyone has in their digestive tract. When someone’s counts are down and they are on broad spectrum antibiotics this C-DIF take advantage of the situation and colonizes entire digestive system. When I had this infection doctors treated me with Vancomyacin and Flagill, but it took long time to get over C-DIF infection. I truly hope you mother will pull through soon. People whose white blood counts are down are in risk group to be affected. Then it shouldn’t be considered restaurant food, anything of fresh veggies, everything should be cooked well. Every time there should be hand washing before and after meals. It is very important that entire family to follow these basic roles and hopefully your mother will not contract this C-DIF infection again. I also hold the hospital staff to wash their hands before they will touch anything and any part of me as well, even if they told me they washed their hands outside.

sherer wrote:

I MYSELF HAD SURGERY AND ONE WEEK AFTER BEING RELEASED HAD TO GO BACK FOR ONE WEEK BECAUSE OF CDIF I HAD LOST 14 PDS IN 3 DAYS WHICH WAS PROBABABLY THE ONY GOOD THING THAT HAPPENED IT WAS THE MOST HORRIBLE THING I HAVE EVER GONE YHREW

I had to have a colonoscopy to check for why I was passing clots. ( I had been having issues with internal bleeding due to being on blood thinners to protect my replaced heart valve.)

Just like a heart murmur or any issue with your heart that requires antibiotics ------if you go to the dentist, ------you will also need antibiotics prior to a colonoscopy to protect the heart from infection.

They did give me an antibiotic 30 minutes before the colonoscopy.
Unfortunately :( and fortunately, I didn't get a heart infection :D , but the antibiotic killed the normal good bacteria in my colon to fight germs. :roll:

Much like the infection in my heart that I got from the dentist, before I was getting the proper pretreatment- I got sick 3 days after my colonoscopy.

Still searching for the root of my clotting problems. (As scheduled, I was transferred to another hospital to check my valve for clots) I was taken to the procedure room, and sent back up due to a fever of 103.9. My normal temperature is low. 96 degrees. So I was pretty sick and out of it.

My Gastro Doctor who is wonderful- insisted they check my heart immediately to make sure there was not an infection there.

I soon started running to the bathroom 15-20 times a day. I was miserable and in pain. I was diagnosed with C-diff.

After 5 days I got released to continue meds at home. I went through the treatment time and thought it was gone. A few days passed, then I thought I must have eaten something bad or had a slight touch of the flu. That lasted for 3 days. I went 4 days without being able to go to the bathrooom - but no complaints, after the mad dashes I had been through to get there on time so many times per day.

I was experiencing moderate to severer pain in my abdomen.

The 4th day- I went to the bathroom and all my body released was pus and blood. and the pain was near or worse than childbirth only the other way. I had to go to the hospital immediately( per my Gastro)

The floor doctor told me that she told my doctor to send me to the other hospital because they couldn't perform surgery on my colon at the smaller one near my home. :?: :shock: But she said my doctor told her I didn't like the other hospital and to give him a chance to save my colon through antibiotics, then if they didn't show quick signs of response he would have me moved to the other hospital. Thank GOD for His hand in helping me and my fabulous doctor (Dr. Agawal) to save my colon!! :idea: :idea:

I was quarantiened for 5 days then released to continue meds at home.

A nurse told me another friend of hers who was also a nurse- caught it from a patient and it took 1 year for her to finally get rid of it. And that's where the name comes from Difficulte. Since it's difficult to get rid of it once you gt it.

I've since been out and on my 3rd try of 10 day treatments. :? My hands have been scrubbed raw trying to prevent germs. I can't even wear my engagement ring.

I'm very young. And this is very difficult for me. My doctor said if I lose another pound he's putting me back in the hospital to prevent dehydration. I don't have an appetite, maybe because it's just not worth the running to the bathroom and the pain.?? :?:

I can't work, and need to. But I only have seconds to make it to the bathroom when I have to go. And I am in real estate- so that won't work so good for me. :shock: HA!

I'm on Metronidazole still ( Flagyl) I've taken Vancomycin for the max time of 30 days.

If anyone has any other Ideas, I'm listening.
On the bright side..... I didn't get an infection in my heart!! :lol: :D

Thank You.....I pray you never get this. I wouldn't wish it on the worst person in the world. This is a horrible infection to get.

My daughter has had C-diff for almost five months now and is working with three different doctors they have tried everything and still can't get rid of it...has anyone known anyone that they couldn't get rid of it?

My father-in-law had colon cancer operation May 17th, which turned out to be sucessful...totally cancer free. He was sent home the following Monday, but was back in the hospital Saturday, May 27th and diagnosed with C-Dif (Clostridum Difficile Colitis). May 31 an MRI showed that his colon was perforated at the initial repair, he was rushed back into surgery as fecal mater was and had been leaking into his body cavity. He never woke up from the surgery and passed away June 1st. Cancer Free, he died of C-Dif infection in his colon that he got at the hospital.

Please be aware of the risk of hopsital aquired infections that can be deadly. look at this link for surprising statistics. yourlawyer.com/topics/overview/hospital_infections

my father n law is in a nursing home....this is the 2nd time now ive gotten pretty sick....he has c dif....and im not sure how easy it is to catch.....or if i even have it...but my sister n law and myself have had diarrhea for 2 weeks....no energy and just not feeling well at all.....is it possibe that mabe ive got c.dif....thank you Tammy

I am 22 years old and was diagnosed with C-Diff for the first time exactly a year ago. At first, the doctors didn't know what it was. I suffered from severe abdominal pains and constantly running to the bathroom several times a day. It got to the point where I was afraid to go out.. and if I did go out, i was obsessed with knowing where all bathrooms where. Finally, after several tests I was diagnosed with acute colitis and then c-diff. I was given flagyl to treat it.. and I was apparently allergic to it. I was then put on vancomycin, which is pretty expensive.. but it seemed to work... until I got c-diff again 4 months later. We went through the same process and it supposably went away again. It's now been exactly one year since I was first diagnosed and I just got it again. I just wish there was something to get rid of this infection, but unfortunatly, its extremely difficult. Some people get rid of it after the first time.. others will probably suffer with it for the rest of their lives. I hope your daughter gets better soon. Just make sure she stays on a healthy diet per her doctor, and she stays extremely hydrated. Also, stay away from any anti-diarreah meds because they can actually make the infection worse. It also can be spread, so be sure to keep everything sanitary. Best of wishes to you and your daughter. I hope I helped.

I was just told that I had C-DIFF and my Dr gave me XIFAXAN for the infection and LOMOTIL for the constant diarreha. I have been having problems for 11 months and went through 4 DRs and FINALLY they found what was bothering me. I still don't know how I got it and we will find out in 10 days if these meds work but. I also for that past 10 years was told that I had first it was Ulcerative Colitis and when I moved and saw a different Dr he said I had Crohns/ Colitis and then this Dr said I have Ulcerative Colitis and Irritable Bowel Syndrome. and well the C-DIFF as well it is SO frusterating!! I drive an hour and a half to work so you can imagine how fun it is. I want to stay home and hide because of this. almost everytime I go to the bathroom all it is is blood and yet they sent me home with meds. I don't know if I am getting anemic from all this but I could sleep ALL DAY EVERY DAY. Anyways, I will come back and let you know if these meds work they promice me they will and I won't get this again.... we'll see Mary

A good prescription to keep the c-dif symptoms is a taking daily a probiotic like acidobaccilus, for example Culturrele, along with a soluble fiber like Citrocel. High protein drinks, soy milk, also seems to help. Need to keep the flora strong with meat and vegetables; sweets, sugars, and lactose products cause the c-dif to flourish.

Also, thanks for all the helpful advice about Culterelle, etc. You guys are GREAT!

Hi all. I am currently on Vancomycin for a C. Dif infection and was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis/Crohn's Disease last month. I know that the Vanco and D. Dif cause diarrhea, and when I went this morning, I was not diarrhea at all. Does this mean the C. Dif is gone? Please advise! I will call my doctor this morning, but he is hard to get a hold of and I'm anxious for an answer! Thank you for your help!

I got c-diff when I was in the hospital for a heart attack. I was in the hospital for over 3 weeks. I was very sick, dehydrated, on IV's. I thought the c-diff stopped a couple of weeks after I was released from the hospital. I have been out of the hospital a month now and I think the c-diff has returned. I just returned to work last week after being off for about 5 weeks. I hope and pray this will end soon and I won't have to go back to the doctor or hospital. I always wash my hands, disinfect anything I use, etc. This is infection is hell! :-(

Is Cdif contagious?? Does anyone know?? ?

my aunt had knee surgery a month ago and was placed in rehab for physical therapy. she is now in ICU with c diff and will not make it. she will be taken off life support tomorrow. This is a very serious illness and people need to be aware of contracting it