Hi, I am three months pregnant. I did not miss a single doctor's appointment because I want my baby to be born one hundred percent healthy. This is my first pregnancy and I am very nervous about it. A few days ago I saw a friend who told me that I shouldn't visit the doctor that often because I can get placental infection and risk my baby's safety. Is the infection of the placenta really that dangerous?

Hi, you friend is right, but only partially. It is very important to see your doctor whenever he tells you to. Infection of the placenta can happen when you have frequent vaginal exams during the pregnancy. The bacteria can penetrate through the blood vessels into the placenta. The infection usually can be detected only after giving birth. The consequences can be devastating. The baby is affected more often than the mother. The infection crosses over from the placenta to the baby resulting in serious conditions that can lead to the baby’s death. The mother can be treated because grown ups have developed immune system. This is a much known problem and the doctors are aware of it. That is why they try to avoid vaginal exams as much as possible during the pregnancy.

i lost my baby from pneumonia and was told he had got it from an infection in the placenta, I didn't have any vaginal examinations whilst pregnant. What will be done next time to prevent it from happening?