my firend is 31 weeks pregant and she smoked herion only the once will it of effected the baby?

Heroin is a very addictive drug that crosses the placenta to the baby. Because this drug is so addictive, the unborn baby can become dependent on the drug. Using heroin during pregnancy increases the chance of premature birth, low birth weight, breathing difficulties, low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), bleeding within the brain (intracranial hemorrhage), and infant death. Babies can also be born addicted to heroin and can suffer from withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal symptoms include irritability, convulsions, diarrhea, fever, sleep abnormalities, and joint stiffness. Mothers who inject narcotics are more susceptible to HIV, which can be passed to their unborn children. If your a true friend you need to convince her to tell her medical doctor about the use. All it takes is one time to harm the baby and the doctors will need to know to look for any issues or concerns when the baby is born. Good Luck and do your best to keep her off of the drugs until the baby is born. I also suggest that maybe you should mention to her about giving the baby up for adoption to give it a better life while your friend gets off of drugs.

so how do you know so much? she is not addicted to the drug she only done it the once she is anmazeing mother so giveing up for adoption is abit harsh considering you dont know her i am an ex herion addicted myself and have to beautiful girls and it dont make me a bad man and i could never give my girls up they have made me who i am today

Sorry in my opinion any woman who would smoke heroin is not an amazing mother which is why I feel the baby would be better off with someone who doesn't do drugs. I watched a friend of mine do drugs while pregnant and felt so bad for her poor baby. The baby came out premature and weighted only 3 pounds. It was in severe pain from withdrawal symptoms. They baby would cry for hours every time it would move and throw up constantly. Everyday was a complete struggle for someone who was just born and so tiny. Now at 4 years old the little boy is extremely slow from a severe learning disability. Has asthma so bad that he can not run and is doubled over gasping for air daily. He has a really low immune system and takes medication to help him survive. IF my friend would of not done the drugs while pregnant her little boy could be happy and health right now. She lied to the doctor and told them she didn't do any drugs so the doctor had no clue the baby was going through withdrawal symptoms until days later after it had laid there in pain for such a long time. Yes I was the one who told the doctor when I went in for a visit. No she is no longer my friend. And Yes I called CPS on her when she continued to do the drugs and had her children taken away. Her little girl went from a F student and over weight to a good home where she is now a straight A student and on the cheer leading team. Her son just started preschool with his new family and they are getting him some help for his medial condition but at the end of the day he is still going to be very ill because of his mothers bad choices.

okay maybe you think you know everything about this but unless you have been there your self then you dont know anyting and yes she did do wrong and shouldnt of used but being in that situation is a really hard place to be in maybe you should of been a friend and supported her instead of judgeing her everyone is so quick to judge when they are on the outside i have been in her shoes and it wasnt easy but i have come out the other end and i have not taken herion for nearly 3 years my daughter is 18months and very healthy and happy and iv got another one on the way due in may so not every one is like your ex friend some people do sort them selfs out for there kids my girls have changed my life for the better