Hi, I am three months pregnant. I and my husband have been trying to have a baby for a long time. Now that we finally succeeded we are very excited. However there is one thing that I am concerned about. When I was younger I suffered from persistent yeast infection. I worry that if this infection reoccurs, now that I am pregnant, it will endanger my baby's health. Is there something I can do to prevent this from happening?

Hi, increased vaginal discharge during pregnancy is normal. However if it bothers you, and you feel irritation with thick white vaginal discharge, you might have a yeast infection. This is not necessarily serious condition. The baby is not exposed to the infection, so you do not need to worry about child’s wellbeing. The best medicine to stop this type of vaginal infection is fluconasole. It's better to administer it intra-vaginally than orally. If you take it orally the drug can get to the baby trough the blood stream and cause birth defects. So if you notice vaginal discharge characteristic for yeast infection talk to your doctor before taking any medicine.