what can i take for chronic insomnia treatment while taking suboxone

I know that Amitriptyline can be taken with Suboxone (prescription) although it didn't help me with my lack of sleeping. I've taken Benadryl and many other over the counter sleeping aids. I'll leave with the dreaded "always check with your doctor first" phrase.

Seroqyl is about the only thing that can break through the insomnia. It's safe and most MD's will prescribe while on Suboxone.

Hope this helps.

I asked my doctor what would be safe to take to help me sleep while on Suboxone, and he told me that melatonin was the only thing I could take. Absolutely no Benadryl, no NyQuil, nothing but melatonin. I still find myself taking Benadryl and NyQuil though because I can't seem to get a full night's sleep using just melatonin. The doctor told me that this would pass, but several months later, I find myself with no choice but disobeying him... I gotta get some sleep in order to function at work, you know? The bad part about the diphenhydramine sleep however, is the groggy feeling that is felt the next day. I've been completely worn out for the last couple of months. This may be due to my disobediance, but what am I supposed to do? I am currently weaning myself off of the suboxone, though... I am taking 1 mg every 1-2 days now (down from 16 mgs/day)... Wish me luck with that!

Guest wrote:

what can i take for insomnia while taking suboxone

Talk to your doctor about seroquil or promethazine. Seroquil does help with the sleep but in my opinion it is not worth the bad side effects like weight gain, high blood pressure, etc. I take promethazine and cymbalta.

I HAVE BEEN TAKING 10MG. OF AMBIEN FOR 10 YEARS. ITWORKS LIKE ATRANQUILIZER, PAIN KILLER & SLEEPING PILL ALL AT ONCE. IT LEAVES YOUR BODY AFTER 8 HRS. SO YOU WAKE UP FRESH. I HOPE THIS HELPS

EDDIE

i am very concerned i was on pills for three years i went cold turkey well on my fourth day i was feeling weak and full of anxiety so i went to the doctor and he put me on suboxone 8 mg - 2 . After reading these replies and questions i am feeling very scared. People write in the withdrawls are worse then the withdrawls from pills. Why did my doctor put me on another drug if the withdrawls are going to be that bad?

I just got put on Suboxone today, 8mg. I was previously prescribed
trazadone for my insomnia. I aked the doctor today if I could keep taking my trazadone, and he said yes. I haven't done it yet, so I wish I had more of an experience to share. Everything I have read on the internet says no, but I asked my doctor today, and he said that it would be fine.

You should see a psychatrist. Tell him of the symptoms you are having and see what he/she says. Ask to be put on Tarazadone at 75 to 150mg per night. Tarazadone is an old anti-depressant that is safe to use as a sleep aid at a low dose. This has worked for me for several years without any bad side effects. Tarazadone is cheap, safe, effective and easily perscribed. Continue with the Tarazadone. The only problem that I have wit Tarazadone is that it makes me hungry in the middle of the night so beware of gaining weight from junk food.

Hi I have been on suboxone for almost 3 years I do not take a very high dose and I have always had trouble sleeping. I take the ambien with it and have had no problems. This is fast acting not CR contolled released. So it will make you fall alseep really fast like in 15min so be in bed when you take it or who knows where you will end up. It might not keep you alseep for the whole night but when you wake up you will feel like you slept all night, you will not dream but once the ambien wears off you will dream and I usually have nightmares dont know if thats from the sub or amb. I read so many things about Suboxone, but I asked my doctor if I could take the ambien he said yes and I have been taking the two for 2 years now together. He saids the biggest complaint was that people did not stay asleep, but I do about 5 hours. I do not wake up and feel like I have taken anything which is good. Goodluck. sweetdreams.

if I take only half a suboxone twice a day will I have withdraws. Kinda scared..

cyproheptadine is a safe sleep aid for use with suboxone and its otc here in canada and other countries, rx in the us heres a study mentioning the use of them both together although not for sleep

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18774063

I just spent my first night on Suboxine and was one of the 14% with insomnia as a side-effect. I found this site at 2:00 AM. Interesting to see what doctors will or won't do. This morning my Doc had no problem writing me a script for 30 Ambien. He called it a "good drug." Hopefully it will work too if needed. BUT - last night at 2:30 I tried a natural sleep aid a friend had sent me when I was having trouble sleeping for another reason. By 3:00 I was sound asleep. Woke up a couple times, but went right back to sleep and got up fairly rested at 7:45. Wasn't sure if I should use it or not but it REALLY did the trick. It's called Tranquil Sleep from a company called Natural Factors. I assume they have a website. In case anyone wants to know, the ingredients are listed as: Suntheanine L-Theanine 200mg, 5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) 30 mg, and Melatonin 3 mg. I took two chewable tablets as directed. I have no idea if it will work for you, if your doctor would want you to have it, or anything else - even if it would work for me again. But it sure made all the difference in the world last night. I'm no doctor, and I"m not suggesting anyone else should try it, I have no connection with the company. I'm just sharing my experience from one night, my first, on Suboxone.

Good luck all.

I have been taking suboxone for four months after abusing oxycodone for two years (roxies). I detoxed for 7 days with 16 mil a day. for the past 3 months i have cut down to 1 to 2 mil once a day. One week ago I stopped taking it all together and it has not been a fun ride I havent slept in 7 days but i am getting some ambien today so hopefully it will work. the withdrawal symptoms were very similar to kicking the pain pills themself just not as intense. very hot baths tend to help. trazadone is a waste of time but clonodine patches seem to help a little bit. In quitting I have discovered a whole new meaning of the words wrestless leg syndrome more like wrestless body syndrome. Withdrawal from suboxone shouldnt last any longer than about 9 to 11 days. after day 7 it seems to start getting a little bit easier. Wish me luck

hello everyone im starting on s >;) %-) uboxin on friday and im scarred to death . I have been on it befor about 4 years ago and then got hurt and had to have back surgery and wanting to get of the pain meds again . im bipolar and have it under control but when i take the suboxin it throws my mind in the wrong place for about 3 days and it scares me does anyone have any suggestions to help with the pit i get in my stomach from anxiety