Lately I have been exposed to a rather stressful way of life due to the loss of my job and some family issues. I believe that it is very much reflected in my lack of sleep. I’m almost positive that I suffer from insomnia - I’m tired and cranky during the day, can’t fall asleep till three or four in the morning and I even wake up two or three times before my alarm for work goes on. I wish there were a way to overcome this problem without visiting my physician - insomnia can’t be that serious, and I’m pretty sure that it is just temporary.

In your case (as is in most cases of insomnia), the problems you are experiencing are probably a symptom of your current life style. Visiting a sleep specialist, however unnecessary and odd it may sound to you, is actually the best way to beat insomnia. Today a variety of very successful techniques (such as behavioural, cognitive or relaxation therapy, or sleep restriction and stimulus control therapy) is applied in cases of people suffering from insomnia. If you are still unwilling to take a chance with the specialist, you might try with some of the following. Make an effort to keep a sleep diary, containing all important data about your sleepless nights (how many hours you slept, how many times you woke up during the night, etc.). Also practise going to bed at the same time every night and avoid drinking coffee, tea, or having a heavy meal two or three hours before your rest time. Try a cup of milk instead. You might also consider changing your mattress. Relax, solve a crossword puzzle, listen to your favourite music... Try to isolate your sleeping place from all sources of noise or strong light. If nothing helps you, don’t reach out for sleeping pills without consulting your doctor first - some of those medicaments can be very dangerous and can really harm you.