I'm 22, not pregnant, not sexually active, and not on birth control or any other medications. A few months ago one of my nipples became inverted and I have been having quite a bit of pain and tenderness. I went to see breast specialists, got diagnostic mammograms, ultrasounds, and an MRI and they couldn't find a cause so they told me to come back in 6 months. It's been 4 months since those tests and the pain is pretty constant now. I'm very worried about it and I have trouble not thinking about it because my symptoms are consistent with inflammatory breast cancer that I've read about. Are there any other non-cancerous things that could be causing these symptoms?

Hi there,

You are very young to be having problems with breast cancer. I am not sure why the nipple is inverted but I know that this can happen to people. The fact that you are stressing out will not help you and it can only make things worse. You have to understand that if this was anything too serious they wouldn’t let you go without any treatment or further tastings. I am not sure if this can cause the cancer. You might just have inflamed milk ducts in your breast. Have they mentioned this as an option? I hope this helped you in any way.

All the best,

Danella