One of my nipples has become inverted within the last 4-6 months. I didn't pay much attention at first but I now remember reading that such changes are not normal and should be investigated. I am pretty sure it's not cancer; I am 30, though had a mamogram 8 months ago as a baseline (with no abnormalities seen).

Furthermore, now I realize there is a lump directly underneath the nipple, that is not present in the other one. It's strange, just a little off center from the areola, and if I press on the lump, it centers itself and my nipple "comes out" (i.e. not inverted) to look normal...

Does this sound like anything familiar?

It is important to have it checked especially this is so called acquired inverted nipple and yet you developed a lump. Your story does sound a bit strange though but I would advise you to see a doc again although you have already a mammography.

Acquired inverted nipples can be a sign of cancer. Other symptoms that may occur indicating cancer are formation of a lump, discharge from a nipple, nipple rash, skin retraction around the nipple or breast abscess. Of course, not all of these symptoms are always present but it would be wise to have it checked since inverted nipples don’t go to the previous position just like that!

update:

I went to see my doctor and when she checked my mammogram report from 8 months ago, the mammographer had already noted that I had some sort of (seeming) Calcium deposits in that spot (never noticed by me). So basically she wasn't worried. However, she of course examined me and said that there is indeed inversion, which insinuates this "deposit" is growing and pulling the tissue in.

Overall, it is supposedly identified as this benign occurance. However, she did say that the indication of growth is a little strange and always worth checking out further. Thus, I will have another mammo and a something-else test next week. If there is anything further to report, I will do!

Update...

For anyone interested: I went today and had a 2nd mammogram and a sonogram (which they called an ethno-something). Upon having the sonogram, the doctor said that the lump, yes appears to be calsium deposits, but nonetheless does have blood vessels in it, so he recommends I have it removed. So, of course now I have many questions to have answered about this removal. I mean, this is a lump just underneath my nipple. Any ideas what this will entail, how cosmetically affecting, possible to fix, etc?

for anyone researching this issue:
i find it the responsible thing to do to tell you what happened. despite my young age and my related assumption that this was not cancer, it was. this is not to freak anyone out. i am halfway through treatment, doing great, and fully believe i will be fine. BUT, this is because i sought out the answer with my doctor. i merely want to encourage others to do the same. don't be scared. most likely, your problem is not so serious. but check it out. it's always the right thing to do!!

Hi, I've noticed one of my nipples inverting since last month, my doctor checked it and at that time it was sticking out because it was cold there. He told me if it was cancer, it wouldn't stick out at all...
I insisted to have a mammogram but he refused it so many times...
This is a sudden change and I'm worried about it. Also I couldn't find any article online saying the inverted nipple caused by a cancer never sticks out!!!! What should I do now?

Thank you, psinge, so very much for posting from beginning to end...I'm so very happy you're doing well. I have an inversion I'm concerned about as well, and am going to find another doctor, because the one I've been seeing doesn't seem to want to take it seriously....Thanks again...You've helped me!

Thank you so much i have the same problem but im scared i want to cry sometimes

Well probably you know now , your doctor was righ. If it was cancer it wouldn't stick out for cold or stimulation just stay inverted . But always better decision go to the right doctor with any nipple chance.