I am a 50 yr old woman. I still get my periods regularly although every other month they are more severe. I have had irregular heart beat for some time now. I have been to the DR. She says it's 'benign' I have mild high blood pressure and am on medication for that and have been for over 2 yrs now. My blood pressure stays under control on the meds. I guess I'm just concerned about the irregular heart beat. It is sometimes worse than others happening basically all day long. It feels like my heart is flipping over.
I also have GERDS.

Any feedback will be appreciated thanks

hi, im also goin thro menopause, ive had 1 period in 11 months! for the last 2 weeks ive had missed beats , extra beats all day every day!! ive been to have some tests, and also have high bp. i have always had an iregular beat but since menopause it has got a lot worse!

Sounds like this could be perimenopause and early onset of menopause. Perimenopause is the phase before menopause actually takes place, when ovarian hormone production is declining and fluctuating, causing a host of symptoms.

Some clinicians maintain that perimenopause can last for as long as 5 to 15 years, while others refer to perimenopause as that period which is a 3 to 4 year span just before menopause. Either way, many women experience more symptoms during perimenopause than after menopause. Because this often happens at an age between 35 and 45, many women's symptoms are overlooked or ignored by their healthcare providers.

Yup, I concur on Peri/onset of Menopause...I was having those symptoms several years ago, when I was getting into my mid to late 40's. (I am 49 now, 25 X 2 in December) I went to a Nurse Practicioner whose thing was "Hormonal Balance" thru Nutrition & bio-identical HRT. (That's hormone replacement therapy for the lucky ones who don't know what that is!) She told me that my insomnia, heart palpitations, irregular periods and itching were probably perimenopausal, but after a blood test, she said, "oh, you're not even in perimenopause yet!" Yeah, right. Tell my symptoms that!

Anyway, two years later, after I hadn't had a period in 4 months or more, I went back for a blood test, and BAM! I'm IN Menopause! Sure enough! So the estrogen patch and compounded natural progesterone are my friends!

BUT for heart palpitations or irregular heartbeats, I really recommend taking a Calcium/Magnesium/Vitamin D supplement. And take extra magnesium--make sure that the Calcium is a CITRATE or MALATE; the Magnesium should be a Citrate, and your Vitamin D should be cholecalciferol (D3). The CoEnzyme CoQ10 would be another good supplement to take; it is good for the heart. But the magnesium really helped with my palpitation symptoms (although the HRT probably helps too).

If I may recommend a website for purchasing good-quality supplements at a great price... This is not a paid endorsement, BTW...it's just a great place to get name-brand supplements (AND MORE!) at a very good price, and quick delivery.

*** edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I AM TURNING 48 NEXT MONTH AND FOR NEARLY 6 YRS I HAVE HEARD YOU ARE GOING THRU MENAPAUSE!!! WELL FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE I WAS PREGNANT WITH MY KIDS AND I ACTUALLY STARTED MY PERIODS THIS MONTH I HAVE NOT HAD ONE,BUT YET I HAVE THE CRAMPS THE BLOATING AND THE MOODS! I AM HAVING ALL KINDS OF STRANGE SYMTOMS I AM FEELING DIZZY AND LIGHT-HEADED,PAINS IN MY BODY THAT FEEL LIKE FLU SYMTOMS,SWEATING ALL THE TIME,TIRED AND SLEEPY AND THIS IS RIGHT AFTER I GET OUT OF BED. I WENT AN HAD ALL KINDS OF BLOOD WORK DONE BECAUSE I THOUGHT I HAD SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH ME AND THEY COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING-YEAH I HAVE HIGH BP BUT I'M ON MEDICATION FOR THAT. SO AM I LIKE FINALLY GOING THRU THE COMPLETE CHANGE OR AM I GOING TO CONTINUE TO FEEL LIKE THIS???? I FEEL I'M GOING TOTALLY CRAZY I EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT GOING TO THE MENTAL HEALTH CLINIC!!! HAS OR DOES ANYONE ELSE FEEL LIKE THIS????? IF SO WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO HELP? :'(

When I started to feel those funny symptoms of perimenopause, my Nurse-Practitioner recommended that I start taking fish oil or some type of Omega-3 oil; she also recommended a Vitamin B-6 Complex supplement (I can't remember the brand name--see, it's the dead brain syndrome!) that was high-quality, not your usual drug-store brand...always try to get the Co-enzymated variety if you can...and as I said before, the Calcium-Magnesium with Vit. D-3 supplement really helps. (Remember, Calcium Citrate and/or Malate is best; the Magnesium needs to be a Citrate, and the Vit D is Cholecalciferol, or D-3...) You can't go wrong taking this stuff--at our time of life (ugh) we could use the calcium. And it helps you sleep better at night, when you take it about an hr before bedtime.

Perhaps you need to find a health care practicioner that is a little more responsive to women's needs...find someone who deals with menopause and a little more knowledge about WOMEN!! So many men dr's are clueless about us!

My nurse-practitioner recommended a book to me while I was in perimenopause (even though she said I wasn't in it yet); it's called "The Change Before The Change" by Linda Corio. There's also a book by one of my faves, Ann Louise Gittleman, called just "Before the Change" that sounded good on Amazon. (That's not the one I have, however) Read up on this stuff and get educated!

Blessings to you, and may you feel better very soon!!