Hello, I’m 42, female. I’ve started having symptoms that look like menopause has started to happen. I had no bleeding last month. Then it occurred and lasted for about 10 days, and it usually last 4-5. And what’s the most important, it just surprised me, I had no symptoms that I was due to. Please tell me what age does menopause start in most women? I never thought that it would be this early…

I think that it’s perimenopause that you are talking about. Menopause most commonly occurs from age 46-53. But FSH test is done to diagnose menopause. It’s a simple blood test. I did it when I had symptoms similar to yours. Perimenopause happens before and after menopause and lasts different in each woman.

I want to thank you both for your info. It was a help to me. See I'm nearing the age of 42 very soon. And this month I had started spotting thinking that my period was going to start, my periods have always started this way. But this month it had just stop right out of the blue. No period and not more spotting that too stop within a few days of it starting. Needless to say my husband and I don't what a another baby not at our ages anyway. One is enough.

It may not be menopause. My doctor told me that the average age is 52. However, you could experience it earlier or later. The best guess would come from your mother's experience. If she is available, check with her and her mother. There is perimenopause which usually occurs years before actual menopause. This is a secret to a lot of women so that when it happens, they panic. The symptoms are usually excessive bleeding/clotting with very irregular periods. You may have to wait and see what happens. Remember, you experience could be very different from someone else's. Best wishes. Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Well the real menopause starts in late forties and early fifties. But this is not the case with every woman. So you might be experiencing it. My opinion is that you are still young for this to happen to you, so you might want to check yourself with your gynecologist. See what he has to say. I hope that you will be ok. Pleas keep us posted about your condition.

Have you gotten any answers yet. Have your symptoms subsided? I hope so. I hope that you are feeling better. What did the ob/gyn say? This is a scary question that a lot of middle aged women deal with. They wait in anticipation of the menopause. They don't know what to expect. Your experience helps to minimize that scary expectation. Although we are all different, every experience helps. Please let us know what you found out and how you are doing.