HI. I know what is menopause, but what I don’t know is what perimenopause is. So I am interested in knowing the differences of both. I thaught it is the same thing. Could someone explain me this?

Well, perimenopause is as same as the menopause. It has the same symptoms: are headaches, night sweats, hot flashes, weight gain, insomnia, heart palpitations, fatigue, urinary problems, vaginal dryness, bone loss, depression and anxiety. Only difference is that you have periods during the perimenopause (irregulary), and once you have not had a period for 12 months, you are considered to be in menopause.

Hi I am 44, and I am not to sure what's wrong, even if anything is wrong. My last period was 3rd Oct 2008. Have had all the symptoms of an on coming period but nothing happens. I get the swollen boobs and the swollen glands under my armpit and sore stomach but no period. I have had the worse HEADACHE for weeks is this the menopause? HELP!!!

I'm 42 and have the same problem, I even took 2 pegnancy tests that came out negative, I'm wondering whats going on too..Can someone shed some light please.. =)

I had the Novasure percedure done 3 years ago. How do I know if Im in peri menapuasual or closer to menipause?

It probably means you are in menopause...my menstrual period stop 8 months ago and i am only 41 yrs old,even though i still have all the symptoms ...i was diagnosed with menopause already so go to your doctor and get the FHS blood test...to be sure

I'm almost 49 and have had the symptoms you are all describing since I was 41. I am in the stage known as perimenopause, meaning "around the time of menopause." As someone else stated, it basically comes with all the classic symptoms of menopause except that menstruation continues, whether regularly, irregularly, or in some way altered from earlier in life. The symptoms tend to become more consistent in quality and frequency during actual menopause. The state of true menopause is verified through a test that checks your level of FSH, whatever that is. Having no period for 12 months is a good clue, but I would still prefer to rely on the FSH test to be sure.

In my early 40s, I started experiencing quite severe mood swings and irritability, and my periods started coming further apart, but still regularly. Since then, the mood swings are less extreme, but my period started being very irregular. I usually skip a month or two, or sometimes longer. My longest break was 4 months, and I was sure that was it, I was in menopause. Then one day, surprise! It's back! It was extremely heavy and long-lasting that time. That was 3 periods ago. The subsequent two periods came along only 3 weeks apart! First I go 4 months with nothing, then boom, boom, boom, one right after another, closer together than ever in my life. And the times when I do skip a month or more, I still experience the symptoms of an oncoming period, and even get cramps now where I never did in my youth. (I was so lucky!) Having those symptoms for nothing makes it seem like April Fool's Day in my uterus.

The way I think of perimenopause is that your reproductive system has become bi-polar. Wild highs and lows with no way to know which way it will be on any given day. I've taken to wearing protection virtually all the time, because I just don't know what's going to happen.

Anyway, this is all part of the natural cycle of life, so I don't think any of us should be concerned or frightened. However, if your symptoms are interfering with your quality of life, you should ask your doctor about bioidentical hormone cream. I got some during those early mood swings years ago, and it really helped. That stuff was miraculous. It is custom-made to work with your body, specifically. They somehow match it to you chemically or something. I dunno, whatever. But that's what they did at this lab, and it was so wonderful. I really recommend custom-made bioidentical hormone cream for any symptoms that seem out of control.

I'll be 48 this year and came to believe that I am in perimenopause. I'm not so sure now though. I know that one symptom of perimenopause are erratic periods. Everyone seems to have infrequent periods. I never go more than a month, give or take a couple days. Instead mine are coming every two weeks. So I'm actually having more periods, not less. Is anyone else having that problem?

were in the same boat because i'm 21 and i think i'm pre-menopausing

51 and last period 2 months ago.