Hi there

I'm looking for some advice.
I get no bowel movements. And when I mean none, I mean none. Even after a week, nothing. The only way I can relieve the pain is to go for colon cleansing or do an enema myself.
I've been to the doctors, they referred me to a gastroencologist. I had various tests, including the one where you swallow the camera, not sure what they call it again.
I've been to see two different nutrionists, I've followed their suggested diets and what to foods to cutout. I was also given various herbs and supplements, but all they do is cause my stomach/intestines to cramp, but still no bowel movement

I'm really at my wits end as I can't do an enema every single day for the rest of my life.
Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions appreciated

I have been in your situation. Well, I am in your situation. I just now finally have a specialist, a diagnosis. Let me tell you a little about myself, I have been on literally every prescription there is for chronic constipation, every non-prescription, and even a few strange holistic things. Nothing was working. Could not understand it. Finally after a very very long road I got to the Dr. I am seeing today, Dr. Snape is a motility specialist at California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco. There he was able to do testing they couldn't do where I lived and found out I had colonic intertia and pelvic floor dysfunction. Now at least what I got has a name and we know what to treat.

My advice for you is to make sure your drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day. Try and go for a walk or jog everyday, even jusy for a little bit. Even just parking farther away when you go to the store. That water and movement does wonders for getting things going. That's a simple easy one for maintenence.

When your really in a bind, Fleets Phospho Soda. It tastes god awful, but it's small. Drink 2 of the small bottles. This isn't the funnest thing to do, but it works and is much better then being full o'poo for two weeks!

Also, Don't make the mistake I did. If you are unhappy with your current doctor, get a new one. I got jerked around and wasted time with the wrong dr's way too long. Get a good referral and go somewhere else.

to JaneD.
Try eating sauteed spinach or escarole every night with dinner. That should work well for your constipation, and it is nutricious too.

The water will really help you, but also try to take a Calcium/Magnesium/Vit D supplement. And if you have to take extra magnesium, do it. It helps me with constipation a lot. The Calcium should be a Citrate or Malate; the Magnesium should be the Citrate variety, and the Vitamin D should be cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3). I hate to plug this website for the third time tonight, because the Administrators are gonna think I work for these guys, WHICH I DON'T....

Anyway, also try to eat some good raw veggies with some salad greens...I am the worst one to eat right (I say, Dessert first!) and my GI tract works so much better when I am eating stuff like red peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, celery, red or green cabbage, and good romaine or leaf lettuce (red or green) instead of iceberg lettuce. One should try to eat organic as much as possible, but sometimes, that's waaaay 'spensive and hard to find. Use a good olive oil/balsamic vinaigrette, or try the Organic Bragg's Vinaigrette, which uses Olive Oil, apple cider vinegar, and other yummy ingredients. Making your own dressing is best, but the Bragg's is really good if you are too busy. The other bottled brands are so full of nasty ingredients (our fave, high fructose corn syrup, or something you can't pronounce or spell properly) so stick with EV OO if you can...no canola oils or vegetable oils!! (I love the Lucini brand of EVOO and balsamic vinegar as well, but they ain't cheap!)

*** edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I also was diagnosed with Chronic Colonic Inertia. I have had no bowel movements for 8-9 years. I used to do enemas every day while I was trying to get the colon to work. Now I try to go every other day because I'm tired of tasking the time away from my life to do them. I have also had colonic treatments at least every 2 weeks for those years. I know I need to drink more water but special raw foods, vitamins, etc have had no impact on getting my colon to work. The doctor I was referred to wants to remove the entire colon and I am so leary of that. I would like to find someone who will help me get it working rather than take it out but I also have a rectal prolapse and other conditions that need fixing. The doctor says that fixing these will have no impact on getting the colon to work and I'd be foolish not to take it out. Ugh!! Any help out there please? I am tired of living like this.

HI Jane,

I know this thread is old but I am having the EXACT same issue at present and I would love to know the outcome, did you manage to sort the problem out and kick the daily enemas.  I could do with advice myself if this is the case as my own issues now have me at my witts end and here in Ireland, we have no specialists or anything that would help me, my own doctor thinks fibre in the cure for all but in my case its not.

Love to know if you succeeded.

Thanks

Laura

Greek yogurt, salads, any FIBER you can eat.. and lots of Water! I didn't go for 4 days but lots played into it, stopped drinking and smoking , started baking LOL.. that confused my body for sure. panic set in when I didn't poop for two days then four! I was always a morning pooper 3x some days. I freaked, gave my friend all my sweets I had left. Water and ore water, went online, scared , I went to a health food store and got a supplement "digestive enzyme". that started making me expel watery specs.. FAT was coming out, still waiting on a t**d.. prayed for a snake ..got one next morning.. drank some coffee too, which I gave up yrs ago, but still think God answered my prayers, Later more came out after I ate, SO, I say give up the sweets, break out the George Foreman .. and try the enzymes.. BUT FIRST take this test: Bloated, Constipated, gas, poop that floats, hair loss, weak nails, mood swings, insomnia, fatigue, headache. IF YOU ANSWERED YES for more than SIX, the supplement which you can get at a health food store like I did. I've been happy ever since and im 51, still working out.

what herbs were you given?

Did you finite out your problem? I'm suffering now!

how old r u do you haved a cyctocyle? I do, and I too have no urgency to have a bm. I take a little enima each am.

See motility specialist Dr. Richard Mccallum in El Paso