Hi. I am a 21 years old woman, who hangs on the health forums. I talked with a friend of mine about some medical stuff, and when we got to the acupuncture, she looked me strangely like I am In a sect or something, and he said that all of that stuff is mumbo - jumbo! I am starting to think - is acupuncture accepted or not in society?

Obviously not. There are still people who don't believe in healing powers of acupuncture. And the funny thing is that acupuncture is older than those persons, their parents, and their parent's parents together. What an irony! Well what can you do, some people are just ignorant when it comes to stuff they are not familiar with.

But, even older than that is astrology!
Maybe we should consult the stars to figure out how to heal you!

Listen, Norrie, don't pay any attention to Mendy.
Something being old is not evidence of its efficacy. People used to believe the earth was flat, but, turns out, it's not. People used to think acupuncture affected a person's Chi. Turns out, there's no such thing.

Those who believe acupuncture works are uninformed, uneducated people. Any evidence they are able to show often can solely be attributed to the placebo effect, and nothing more.

Though, I suppose if you're trying to lose weight in your wallet, acupuncturists can be quite successful.

Please do research before taking up any method of treatment that is not proven scientifically.

norrie wrote:

Norrie, the obvious thing to do is to actually seek out a licensed professional and board certified acupuncturist who is experienced in the area that you want help with. I refuse to insult or diminish the comments of people who feel threatened by something that is foreign to them because it may actually help. They obviously have not done a thorough research, because otherwise they would not misinform you so carelessly. You need to ask these people who are so adamant against acupuncture if they have ever tried it. If they haven't, then they are closed minded and their opinion should not be taken seriously. Obviously, if it's a practitioner who relies on the pharmaceuticals to help people, they will definitely argue against this medicine that can actually help without any negative side effects such as drugs or surgery. That's because it's all about MONEY. I've tried it, it works. I've had serious sinus issues which my otolaryngologist recommended surgery for. After getting a bunch of antibiotics which made me very ill and didn't help, I sought out acupuncture. After several sessions, an MRI showed significant improvement, and the otolaryngologist postponed by surgery indefinitely. I also had frequent colds due to my sinus infections, and now I don't get any. It's been more than a year since I stopped treatment and my sinuses are fine. My advice...decide for yourself by giving it a try. Just make sure the acupuncturist is licensed and not another practitioner (like a doctor or chiro) who only has about 300 hundreds hours of training, compared to a licesned acupuncturist who has more than 2,000 hours of study and training in the field. Good luck.