Hello, folks. I have certain back problems for several weeks. I wouldn’t like to take painkillers or similar pills. My friend recommends me to try with TCM. I am definitely interested in that, but I am not sure how to know if someone is licensed TCM practitioner. Can anyone help me with this?

Hi, there. I think the best way is to ask to see their license. There are many programs that are involved in Traditional Chinese Medicine. Some of them are: Acupuncture Techniques, Oriental Medicine, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition, Biomedical Clinical Sciences, Qi Gong, etc. In USA, some states have their own exams that these practitioners have to pass after attending this program. However, most of them take a test that is organized by the National Commission for the Certification of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine's (NCCAOM). If you have friends that tried TCM, ask them which practitioner they went to. This can be very helpful as well. I hope you will manage. Good luck!

Each practitioner is required by law to display their license in their office.

However, if you want to check out an acupuncturists license without going to their office, you should check your State's Department of Health website. Most States have an Acupuncture Board to regulate the practice, and you can search by name for their license.

**edited by moderator**